sp

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. SP 4449

SP 4449

Headed east with an Amtrak unit in the consist, and a train of private cars headed east for Train Festival 2009 in Michigan. Near Maryhill.
  2. A Sort of Homecoming

A Sort of Homecoming

SP's headquarters were located at 1 Market Street in San Francisco. It seems only appropriate, then, that ex-SP equipment can still be found working the last remaining industries in the city that still ship by rail. Here's the South City Switcher running down Quint St. in the heart of SF's...
  3. 4449 in 1976

4449 in 1976

I just found some of my old slides from 1976. This shot was in the Oakland SP yard.
  4. Coast Starlight - 1985

Coast Starlight - 1985

An SP SD45R leads the southbound Coast Starlight into San Jose, CA, back in June 1985. I was 15, school was out, I lived a mile from the SP San Jose Roundhouse, and I had my first 35mm camera. Too bad I wasn't shooting slides back then. All-manual Canon "FT" (fitting for a railfan!)...
  5. Cascade Summit - August 1998

Cascade Summit - August 1998

Rear end helpers on the UP 9330 South emerge from the tunnel in cloud of black smokeCanon EOS-10s 35mm, Kodacolor print, scanned on an HP flatbed scanner
  6. Cascade Summit - August 1998

Cascade Summit - August 1998

UP 9330 South has nearly crested the grade at Cascade Summit, as the rear end pushers are framed by the signals in a haze of diesel exhaust.Canon EOS-10s 35mm, Kodacolor print, scanned on an HP flatbed scanner
  7. SP SD70M 9813 - Klamath Falls, OR - August 1995

SP SD70M 9813 - Klamath Falls, OR - August 1995

On a southbound manifest. Why didn't a take a photo of that trailing Rio Grande tunnel motor?Canon EOS-10s 35mm, Kodacolor print, scanned on an HP flatbed scanner
  8. SP SD70M - SD45T-2 - SD70M August 1995

SP SD70M - SD45T-2 - SD70M August 1995

A pair of SP SD70M's bracket an older SD45T-2, all three units in the current "Speed Lettered" scheme. Their southbound manifest is cresting the grade south of Worden, OR, and are about to cross the Oregon-California state line.Canon EOS-10s 35mm, Kodacolor print, scanned on an HP flat...
  9. Eugene, OR - April 17, 1995

Eugene, OR - April 17, 1995

SSW GP60 9688 sits in the nearly deserted Eugene, OR, engine facility on April 17, 1995.Canon EOS-10s 35mm, Kodacolor print, scanned on an HP flat bed scanner
  10. Nearly new SD70M

Nearly new SD70M

In Oct. 1994, a nearlynew SP SD70M is at Eugene, OR, on a southbound manifest.Canon EOS-10s 35mm, Kodacolor print, scanned on an HP flat bed scanner
  11. Speed-lettered SW1500 in a light snow

Speed-lettered SW1500 in a light snow

Back in late 1996, a rare speed-lettered SP SW1500 switches the south end of the Klamath Falls, OR, yard, as the snow starts to fall.Canon EOS-10s 35mm, Kodacolor print, scanned on an HP flat bed scanner
  12. Southern Pacific Drifts Through Dike

Southern Pacific Drifts Through Dike

Eastbound SP SD40T-2 #8523 leads its train down Cajon Pass on the PCC at Dike in 1987.
  13. CEFX 9401 Cruger, IL

CEFX 9401 Cruger, IL

CEFX 9401 leads TPW's EB freight
  14. Lake Oswego Daylight

Lake Oswego Daylight

SP "Daylight" #4449 heads through downtown Lake Oswego with two matching "daylight" passenger cars on its way to a car show in Sherwood on June 13, 2008.
  15. SP 2-Bay Hopper

SP 2-Bay Hopper

This SP 2-bay hopper is carry a load of gravel south past the Saginaw grain elevators on a warm summer's evening. I don't see many that look this good.
  16. The Daylight at Work

The Daylight at Work

Southern Pacific 4449 makes up time as it glides down a hill.
  17. Alabama & Tennessee River Railway

Alabama & Tennessee River Railway

A&TRR Northbound Freight Train Z389 rumbles through Birmingham, Al. ( 32nd Street Interlocking )
  18. Alabama & Tennessee River Railway

A&TRR Northbound Freight Train Z389 rumbles through Birmingham, Al. ( 41st Street )
  19. Alabama & Tennessee River Railway

A&TRR Northbound Freight Train Z389 rumbles through Birmingham, Al. ( 32nd Street Interlocking )
  20. Fallen Flag Express

Fallen Flag Express

GE Dash 9s from Union Pacific components CNW and SP roll through the horseshoe at Gibson siding in the Sacramento River Canyon.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back