Train Derailment Detection System or axle bearing overheat detection system

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Inventor

This invention is for detecting and locating overheating axle bearings to prevent derailments. It is open source for all to use. I am the inventor and I have made it public.

Attachments

• spacerdrawings.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • specsspacertext.pdf
    124.5 KB · Views: 18
Im not doubting you, but how can we tell that your invention (that I thing is pretty cool) will actually be used on modern day locomotives?

Yes it can be used on modern day train’s probably freight is the best use right now. You see it’s low tech like as if it was from the late 1800s early 1900s so it’s low-cost and easy to implement. Also, take into consideration that if you have a flammable product in one of your train cars, this would not exacerbate a flammable situation because it’s low tech there’s no batteries no wires ect. Some iterations of this technology already exist in the use of air brakes on tractor trailers. There’s a buzzer warning for low air pressure. And this is the genesis of the invention by having a low air pressure condition it would warn the engineer that somethings wrong that lower pressure condition would be caused by an overheating bearing whereby the multiple material very escape in the air pressure would escape from the device, causing the alarm, and whistling, and indicating with the flag. After seeing the East Palestine derailment I just couldn’t stomach all that that involved, there had to be a different way to do this. It needed to be low tech and if you will Mack truck tough /Railroad tough and I think this Achieves that it just needs to get out there now. I tried to monetize it,yes wouldn’t be bad to make $1 million or so but I couldn’t get through the gate keepers. People who answer the phones at these big companies they got better things to do in Their mind. So the patent pending is expiring, in which case this would be having to go through the due diligence and the full patent process. That’s gonna be a few dollars to do more than I have and a big company could’ve done that easily and then they would have the patent on it through me and I would be fine with the world. So then I thought well since money is the variable everybody wants it and it’s gonna stop this from going forward that doesn’t stop derailments so something has to give. That’s why I’m giving it to the world to use this way. No one can commandeer it and control it. And it could make it out into the real world sooner. So I’m not selling anything here it is what it is. It’s up to the world now to take the ball and run with it. Here’s a cheap low tech fix for bearing failure. just as a point of order, back in the day, they had a guy who would open the bearing box on the old trains and literally slap a ball of grease in there. Nobody’s doing that any more today we have a seal bearing who’s going to know when it goes it’s up for grabs especially with hundreds of train cars if not thousands, unless you use this invention then you’ll know exactly when it’s going to go. So if you can push it forward. Thank you for your interest.

By the way this is part a (variant) Of another invention that I have that I’m going to publish here as soon as I can get my act together with it, so that’ll be attached to this thread. Although this one (variant) is the perfected version of that.

1. Interesting, where did you get all this experience?
Seems like you really know what you are talking about.

2. Would this device be used on locos or rolling stock, or both?

3. How would the system be wired to the cab of the locomotive if this device would be on any rolling stock?

4. How would you be able to tell what truck is in distress from all the others in the cab?

5. What company would you reach out to, to possibly have this invention used on the trucks.
What railroad companies run around your state?
Me personally, I would reach out to NS or CSX. (Mainly because they run on the East Coast, and that is where I live).

Would you like me to spead the word about this idea?
I would be happy to assist you online.

1. Interesting, where did you get all this experience?
Seems like you really know what you are talking about.

answer. It’s not like I’m a RR engineer or build locomotives or anything like that. I have some hands on experience owned tractor trailers heavy equipment back in the day fixing, welding, build things I needed etc.

2. Would this device be used on locos or rolling stock, or both?

answer. Yes all interconnected from locomotive to the very end of the train.

3. How would the system be wired to the cab of the locomotive if this device would be on any rolling stock?

answer. This is mostly air lines and fittings, rubber lines where flexing is required solid lines were practical. In the cab would be valves to charge the air from locomotives existing air compressor, the warning devices would be a buzzer and blinking light all easy existing technologies low volt (12v) isolated to the cab of locomotive. Absolutely no need for anything other than air line, fittings, valves and gladhand connecting hardware after the locomotive. So this is why it’s so simple one airline end to end charged with air the only times it doesn’t have pressure is when it is broken/damaged by something which could happen in transit like something came up from the track or side (example in probably rare cases a fallen tree that ripped the line and broke it for instance) the only other times is when crews disconnect it for train uncoupling or the more important time when a. [bearing is starting to overheat] and the system activates. So with no obstruction and the system fully connected end to end it would always be pressurized while under way in transit down the track waiting for the overheating bearing. ( Also the device is on every bearing spacer interconnected truck to truck, car to car, to the locomotive )

4. How would you be able to tell what truck is in distress from all the others in the cab?

answer. You can make the failing bearing whistle from the locomotive valve that gets you pointed in the right direction, then someone can walk alongside and find it hear it see it or a drone can be use to locate it . It has a flag indicator at each bering spacer that pops out to show it’s that one. Reflective tape/paint bar code etc. would make it where the drone camera can read information.

By the way let me point out in this example the bearing got hot, hot enough to activate and sound the alarm probably not catastrophic failure yet it may be possible to gimp that car to a siding break it out from the rest of the train and keep the rest going. So not only did we not have a derailment we might be not to late on the schedule. Also crews would come the next day swap out that axle the next train would hook up to that car bringing it to its end destination.

5. What company would you reach out to, to possibly have this invention used on the trucks.
What railroad companies run around your state?
Me personally, I would reach out to NS or CSX. (Mainly because they run on the East Coast, and that is where I live).

answer. Any one it would be nice if someone could get thru to them I would even go meet whoever to make it go. I’m on the east coast right now too.

If I were in a railroad shop with junk parts pile in the back I could probably make a test prototype and show its function.
Well, since you live on the east coast like me, I would highly recommend reaching out to SteamTown National Historic Site in Scranton Pa. I have been here a quite a few times. They have an active locomotive repair shop inside their roundhouse. I'm sure you will be able to find the parts you would need there on tracks (correct me if I'm wrong) 13-15.
350 Cliff St, Scranton, PA 18503

If I were in a railroad shop with junk parts pile in the back I could probably make a test prototype and show its function.
If you had the parts you needed to build one, how long do you thing it will take? (if everything goes accordingly)

I think I could if I had old spacers and some drillbits and maybe a angle grinder I could make the appropriate grove enough for an experiment on either an axle bearing or a mock axle bearing to heat up and then show how it would work it could be done relatively cheaply. It would take a little bit of work, but it could be done.

Here’s a bearing pic. The other pic is where the spacer sits above the bearing and making contact with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1924.gif
    IMG_1924.gif
    45.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1922.jpeg
    IMG_1922.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 20

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back