Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2017

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

First time I have seen this. Notice the first container behind the engines. It's called an "Arrowedge". Pronounced "arrow-wedge" it's an aerodynamic device developed by UP employees that's designed to help reduce fuel usage and emissions on double-stack intermodal trains. Here it is seen coasting down from Truckee through Verdi Nevada. The bridge is over the fast running Truckee River.
34770891046_707d4b6029_b.jpg
Arrowedge by lennycarl08, on Flickr

I really miss California. Didn't know about Feather River when I was TDY at China Lake, or I'd miss it even more.

Great job. Keep them coming! Art.

I really miss California. Didn't know about Feather River when I was TDY at China Lake, or I'd miss it even more.

Great job. Keep them coming! Art.

Thanks!

To be fair though, China Lake is a LONG way from Feather River. If I was down there i would have headed to Tehachapi and Cajon Pass, which I have yet to visit but plan to sometime.

Thanks!

To be fair though, China Lake is a LONG way from Feather River. If I was down there i would have headed to Tehachapi and Cajon Pass, which I have yet to visit but plan to sometime.

FRC would have been an easy three-day trip from Ridgecrest. I was alone and had a Road Trek camper van.

Spent many weekends at Tehachapi camped right beside the Loop--twenty-five feet from the track. Put out my Dish, turned on the inverter, and watched baseball in between the 20-30 trains per day. It was a social gathering place for railfans and others from around the world. I'm not sure how the access is now. In 2000 it was wide open. During that time they had closed all trackside access at Cajon, but before they closed it, I camped a few times. If you go down that way, check out Mormon Rocks. It's west of I-5 accessible from 138. I'll post an old photo from there in Western U.S.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back