Relocation

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Hi! I’m a female conductor in Michigan. I want to get a job in California. How does the hiring process work if you apply for a railroad position so far away?

For example...
How would they do the; interview, assessments, and physical??

Thanks for your help!

From the lack of response, I'd say nobody's sure.

When I was to be interviewed by a company in California, the company paid for round-trip airfare (coach, or tourist, whichever it's called now), and two nights at a lower mid-range hotel, so I could be interviewed and take a look at where I was to work. The physical was done by my local doctor before I went, and he transmitted the info to the company. Note this was not a railroad, so your experience may differ greatly.

From the lack of response, I'd say nobody's sure.

When I was to be interviewed by a company in California, the company paid for round-trip airfare (coach, or tourist, whichever it's called now), and two nights at a lower mid-range hotel, so I could be interviewed and take a look at where I was to work. The physical was done by my local doctor before I went, and he transmitted the info to the company. Note this was not a railroad, so your experience may differ greatly.

Thank you for your response even though your situation was different. It still gives me an idea of what could happen. I guess the only way to really find out is to apply and see what they say.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com