Help: Tool Identification

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

GeorgeAnderson

At auction I recently won a railroad lot that may or may not be connected with the NYCS. Can anyone tell me the name and use for this railroad tool? Thank you.
20231213_090903.jpg
20231213_090917.jpg
20231213_090819.jpg

At auction I recently won a railroad lot that may or may not be connected with the NYCS. Can anyone tell me the name and use for this railroad tool? Thank you.
View attachment 116804View attachment 116805View attachment 116806
That usually goes with a hand throw switch as a set of two. It's used to lock the switch handle so it can't be thrown by unauthorized persons. The hole near the top is for a switch lock. The cutouts in the base are for spikes holding it to a tie. They are generally bought from companies that supply parts for the railroads. The railroad seldom made items like this. Sandblasted and painted gloss black, these make nice bookends for railroad books. You could add a switch lock for your favourite railroad to it.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back