Did a bridge builder construct a two-track bridge where the tracks "overlapped"? (Gauntlet)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Robert Gift

former OL presenter
Manyears ago I was told thathe contract was for a two-track bridge.
The builder built the tracks so thathey overlapped. Only one train could use the bridge at a time.
A frog at each end allowed the eastbound track's north rail to cross the westbound track's south rail so thathe eastbound north rail was between the westbound track's rails. What is it called?
Thank you.

(Reminds me of when I put two HO tracks together with both sharing one rail in the middle.)
(I was planning on having two tracks spaced so thathe distance between their rails would make a third track.)

Last edited:
Glad we could help... :rolleyes:
I don't know how many times I couldn't remember something, then remembered right after asking somebody else.
Think I was told thathe railroad wanted two trackside-by-side so two trains could use the bridge simultaneously.
Buthe railroad did not make it clear in theirequirement.
The builder created a gauntlet so the bridge legally had two tracks.

Should have taken a picture of the three-rail HO track. But film was expensive back then.
Still want to do the two parallel trackspaced to create a third middle "track"!

I suspect it was more likely to be a route changed from single track to double track, but the bridge addition or replacement was delayed. This arrangement allowed both lines to use a single bridge without needing any switches. It would be treated just like a longer single track section (tunnel, canyon, etc.) between double tracks.

Bruce

Last edited:
Here's a picture I took on the South Shore RR I think I did take some back further from the bridge just not finding them yet

also image of how the tracks laid out

Attachments

• Interlaced-track-with-frog.svg.png
    Interlaced-track-with-frog.svg.png
    117 KB · Views: 17
  • 2022-09-28-0018.jpg
    2022-09-28-0018.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 17
From what I was told, the contractor saved much money building a narrower bridge usingauntletrack configuration which legally methe requirement of two tracks.

Funny because I was planning to have three HO tracks converge and cross a narrow bridge like this: ] |A|B|C| [

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back