Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

POW!
kenw

POW!

A UP goal drag clips a "just-a-bit-too-long" trailer in Houston, Texas. No injuries.
Looks like someone doesn't understand flashing read lights. Or loud bells. Or multicolored gates...

Every railroader's nightmare. I notice that the Engineer appears to have already left his seat; probably down on the floor. I bet the driver in the pickup next to the trailer got a big thrill, too.

A few questions:
-approximately how fast was the train going?
-did you hear him go into emergency?
-how many car lengths did he go before he came to a stop.
Since this happened a couple of years ago all the legal stuff should be settled by now.

Great catch, Ken!

Bruce, the train was in emergency (according to the engineer, as I talked to he and the conductor once they stopped), altho it was going about only 10-15, maybe. This was a heavy coal load (with DPU), having just crawled around a rather tight turn at maybe 5-7mph. Speed was hard to judge as I was moving as well! As far as hearing it myself, I can't remember and the horn was on solid.

He travelled for about 1/4 mile.

The crew said they had moved from their seats to the floor of the cab, since they didn't know what was in the trailer (nothing in reality).

Semi stopped at a red traffic signal with trailer on the track?
Is this a frame from a video of the collision happening?
Lucky catch for the photographer.

Media information

Category
Derailments and Wrecks
Added by
kenw
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back