Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Operator's Desk, Cle Elum Depot

Operator's Desk, Cle Elum Depot

More tech frustration: I hope you all adapt well to the changing world you in which you are living, I am barely hanging in there. First installing Photoshop Elements; then actually getting a shot uploaded; are taxing my limits. TheS starter Edition was simple compared to this. And considering the subject matter of the shot: the person who sat in this chair would have comprehended none of it. Indeed, there were few I knew in those days who weren't totally baffled by the 35 mm camera. I don't wish to end it soon, but I don't know how much more of the progeny of Bill Gates, and his ilk, I can handle.

Back to Railroads: When I was a kid in the '50's, growing up in Long Beach, Calif., there was still a body of railroad literature available. The great era of railroading was coming to a rapid close, yet literature always lasts longer (e.g. Navy sailors are still called "sailors" even though few of them ever reflect on the root word of their name - "sail" or would know one if the boom hit them in the forehead). Thus my interest in railroads is derived from kids' railroad literature. The subject matter therein was not technical in nature, it was human interest. Afterall railroads are about humans and human culture; the transportation of which is the railroad's raison d'etre. In modern times, the motor vehicle has replaced the railroad in literature, so what is mostly left is technicals, and little art. This shot, the Operator's Desk in Cle Elum Depot falls under the category of the latter, and speaks to life on the railroad. And in so speaking, has much to say.

John Crosby
Seattle
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Buildings and Structures
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back