RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas & Missouri photos...Alcos in the Ozarks

Thumbs up Arkansas & Missouri photos...Alcos in the Ozarks

The following photos were taken on 10/19/05 at Monett, MO. The photos were taken of Arkansas & Missouri's Monett Turn.

1. The Monett Turn is shown as it pulls through the east end of the yard at Monett. Note the M420W in the motive power consist.

2. After the motive power has cut off from it's train the train crew backs through the yard to pick up it's outbound cars.

3. One of the ex Ohio Central M420W's is shown. The unit has been relettered for the Arkansas & Missouri though it hasn't been repainted yet.

4. Another photo of Arkansas & Missouri M420W #74.
    Last edited by Kermit; 06-27-2006 at 10:32 AM.
    On taking railfan photos: Shoot and scoot!

Arrow

5. The final photo is another close up showing #74. Hope you all enjoy the photos!
    Last edited by Kermit; 06-27-2006 at 10:32 AM.
    On taking railfan photos: Shoot and scoot!

Notice how they even went through the effort of putting the A&M "arrow" on the side. Almost looks like they're repainting it in phases.

MP 420 A&M
    MP 4 KCS Ft. Smith Line
    My Gallery

4. Default

Nice pix!!! Thanks for sharing...

That Ohio Central Burgundy color is sure close to the A&M color...

The A&M has diversified it's fleet a bit it seems... For years, strictly C-420's and T-6's... Now they've got some C-424's and M-420's...

I'd really like to know how the M-420's and the C-420's compare...

Someone get William a towel, he's going to need one... Nice units and REALLY nice to see them running still.
    Later...
    Scott
    KE7MWT
    Working Nowhere Near Tracks now. :-(
    Oh Yes, my profile picture, I'm the one in the lower right...
    The Phoenix Sub, where the term "Hot Rail" has a whole new meaning!

"I couldn't wait for success . . . so I went ahead without it." Jonathan Winters
    "I don't rely on inspiration. It's unreliable. I just get up in the morning and I go to work." Nick Cave

finchpl was reported saying:
    The A&M has diversified it's fleet a bit it seems... For years, strictly C-420's and T-6's... Now they've got some C-424's and M-420's...
    That is a somewhat fair assessment, though from near the beginning there has been two RS1 (one of them was the oldest operation RS1 in the states) and a RS32. They also had a group of M636 and a lone C630...but only one of them saw service and it was for a very short period of time. The backbone of the "fleet' has been the C420 on the road trains and the T6 in the yards. For a 140-mile railroad, A&M sure tries to keep things interesting. Especially here lately.

MP 420 A&M
    MP 4 KCS Ft. Smith Line
    My Gallery

Nice shots Kermit.

Man I can't believe William hasn't responded to this yet.
    Tim Swearingen
    RRF member since July 12. 2002

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zhilton
    finchpl was reported saying:

That is a somewhat fair assessment, though from near the beginning there has been two RS1 (one of them was the oldest operation RS1 in the states) and a RS32. They also had a group of M636 and a lone C630...but only one of them saw service and it was for a very short period of time. The backbone of the "fleet' has been the C420 on the road trains and the T6 in the yards. For a 140-mile railroad, A&M sure tries to keep things interesting. Especially here lately.

Yeah, I forgot about the RS-1's... But they really weren't used in freight revenue service were they? I rode one of their excursion trains back in the early 90's and was pulled by one of the RS-1's...

That RS-32 is really a C-420 on the inside... I always liked the RS ergonomics better than the C-420... Those tall thin steps were always hard on the shins... The RS units had much better steps...

The ex CN M-636's were scrapped with prime movers and generators sold for marine application I believe, and I'll bet the Dofasco trucks went to GE for the C-40-8M order... The CP C630, ex #4500, is now on the WNYP... If I recall, A&M was looking at buying another piece of track and wanted the 6 axle power for coal trains or something... I guess that didn't work out, so the big M's were parted and scrapped...

With the Little Rock and Western now under Genesee and Wyoming control, I bet their two C-420's will be up for sale soon... Hope the A&M picks them up... GWI isn't an Alco-friendly road...

Agree 100%, A&M is interesting road... Class act to say the least...

9. Default

About the buying of a "piece of track" to move coal, your half right. There was at one time a bid on trackage rights. The nice piece of track had with it a very profitable chicken feed factory. A&M was going to get the rights, and was goin to need some big power to move it all. But as one can see, it didn't happen.

An old shot of 3567, now 47, when she was in Pittsburgh. Sorry for the quality, crappy camera back then. Thanks for the update on her Kermit. Maybe with time we'll get shots of the other OC's that went west.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast