RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Critique policy

Default Critique policy

Recently I've come under fire for my policies regarding criticism in the forum. Some members feel it's unfair to only allow positive comments, and that I'm acting like the new schools where everyone gets an "A". I see it differently, but I thought maybe it was time to clarify what I feel the policy should be.

Personal Attacks
    Many of you have been to other forums where flames and personal attacks are the order of the day. We do not allow those here. Personal attacks will be deleted, and members warned. Repeat offenders will be banned.

Photo Critiques
    Criticism of photos is welcome, when the member requests it! That can be done in three ways.
    1) Post it in the photography workshop category.
    2) Post it anywhere you'd like, and add something to the effect of "Critiques welcome" or "what do you think of this shot?" or anything along those lines.
    3) Go to the user control panel, and then select "Group Membership". Choose the group "Photography Enthusiasts" and click join. The following label will appear by your user name "Photo Critiques Welcome". Members of this group allow critiques in any category.

The forum is about railroads, with an emphasis on photography. Many folks who post photos are more interested in the subject than the technical aspects of the photos. They may well know they're no O Winston Link, and don't really want suggestions on how to take better photos. If they do, they can simply ask.

Differing Viewpoints
    You do NOT have to agree with everything the other members say. You are welcome to post your views. Civil debates are welcome, as long as they are related to the subject, not the member. As an example, "I don't agree that Amtrak should be publicly funded, and here's why:..." is fine. "That's a stupid idea!" or "you're a bleeding heart liberal!" is not.

My goal is to keep this place friendly and enjoyable while still allowing for differing opinions and ideas. I think we do a pretty good job of it, and hope to continue doing so.

Thank you
    Last edited by Bob; 11-07-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadForums.com Host

Amen!!

Thanks for providing a reminder Bob, and I just wanted to say thanks publicly for all the work you do to keep this place running and under control.

I'm pretty new to the forum, and I haven't seen any of the personal attacks and such yet. I have seen that sort of thing on other sites I USED to visit. This is one of the things I like about RRF. IMHO, this means either the people on this site are just nicer than average, or the administrators do an excellent job of weeding out the undesirables. I lean toward the former.

Thanks everybody.

Appreciate your fine website here. Came over from a general critiquing group where rail photos were either ignored or unappreciated.

HJHJK is a spammer. Please ban him ASAP.
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

I really appreciate this policy Bob. It makes it pleasant to visit this site.