RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone remember Stan Midgley?

Good grief, the mother lode! Have you had a chance to look over the films and see what you have? There's got to be some historical (and real) value in those film cans. Would you be kind enough to post here and tell me what films you may have?
    Americans should be ashamed. We've eaten so many millions of Buffalo wings that many kids today have never seen a buffalo fly.

2. Default

I will go back to the house today and pick up the boxes. We are doing some remodeling. My wife and I were interested in one which looks like its a movie our house in the 1960's, that was in an 8 mm format. There are larger reels which say things like Colorado 1980, Victoria 1960's, etc. I am not sure if these are soundtracks or audio reels. There are a total of about 20-30 of a mix assortment of reels. About 6-8 are 8 mm format. He also had a large box of large VCR looking tapes, however flatter and larger with classical music and opera. I will pick these up and post later tonight. I am not sure if what I have are the completed and edited products, or the original recorded reels prior to processing.

Haig

3. Default Midgley

WOW! You DID hit the motherlode. I grew up in Detroit and Stan Midgley is the reason I love RR's and camping throughout the west. If you do find any of his adventure films (I believe he shot in 16 mm), I would certainly be interested. I'd like to show them to my kids as I'm sure they'd catch the Midgley bug as well. He was a unique talent. I saw him several times in person as he monologued his films. He always acted nervous and I was told he was a really shy and private individual.

Default Fondly Remembered!

I remember Stan very well. I was around eleven or twelve when I first saw Stan. I had watched George Peroit on an off. Unlike some I wasn't an every episode fan; but I did watch many of his presentations. Unlike the kids of today who have no patients for a show like that; I really enjoyed some of the presenters George featured. It seems almost like a dream; I can't imagine such a show anytime in the last thirty years. But, for me the standout presenter was Mr. Stan Midgely. He was amazing; not only did he take us places we've never seen before, right here in the US of A. And he did it with a humor that made his work something I couldn't wait to see; and even now more then 40 years after the fact I find myself wanting to see and hear him again. He affected a lot of us; how many of us would like to be as fondly remember as he is.
    Thanks so much Stan.

I may have found a way to find out if those films are still around. Trisha Lendo of the UCLA Film And Television Archives gave a lecture on Midgley and his films about a month ago at the 14th Annual Northeast Historic Film Summer Symposium, and I suspect the Archive might have his films. Click the link and scroll down a bit.

http://oldfilm.org/content/2013-symposium
    Americans should be ashamed. We've eaten so many millions of Buffalo wings that many kids today have never seen a buffalo fly.

I don't know if I ever followed up on this discussion, but I did find the Midgley films, and they are housed at the UCLA Film and Television Archives in L.A. At least one is available for viewing at the archives (a friend of mine went to see it and said it was wonderful), and there is some hope that a number of the films.....including the movies of the Silver San Juan......will be licensed for sale.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123