RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember Stan Midgley?

Default Anyone remember Stan Midgley?

A long long time ago (my youth--late '50's, early '60's) in a place far far away (Detroit, MI) a travelogue photographer named Stan Midgley used to show up a couple times a year and put on a film show shot in the late '40's and early '50's based around the Colorado San Juan mountains, containing wonderful shots of D&RG and RGS narrow guage. Very historic stuff. Stan died in Los Angeles in 2000, and try as I might I haven't been able to find any evidence that Stan's films were saved. I mean, if Don Cooper's Alaska stuff is available on video, Stan Midgley's bicycle and jeep trips have got to be out there somewhere. Any ideas?

Eric D. Guest

Hello doublasm. I, too, was a Detroit couch potato when Stan came around and visited the George Pierrot show as part of the World Adventure Series. I live in Japan now but move here from Washington state. In the 80s, I happened to track down Midgley's apparent address in the Pasadena area, and wrote to him seeking the same footage, as it would have been in video in those days. A few years back there still was a listing for World Adventure Series in the Seattle phone book, but I'm not sure now. I would definitely ditto your desire to get a collection going of Midgley's stuff, from his Colorado, Utah and other bike trips, his Jeep outings and his travels in his trusted Chevy pickup 'Gus.' Have you tried the Detroit Institute of Arts? It was the local sponsor of the Pierrot show, and I believe the studio was on-site. At least on those Sunday live Midgley presentations, that's where it was.

Ah, George Pierrot, the body type Wayne Cody was cloned from......

I've done some polking on the subject. The folks at www.detroityes.com were sympathetic, but limited help. I did have a conversation with Midgley's agent, and the folks that handle Don Cooper's stuff, and they didn't have a line, and Ed Golick, possibly the best educated on the subject of Detroit TV history ( www.detroitkidshow.com ) was the one who told me Stan died in 2000.

Thanks for the tip about the Seattle office of World Adventure Series. I'll see what I can do. They're great films, and I'd surely like to see them again.

4. Default Stan Midgley

Oh yes, I remember Stan Midgley. I was just at lunch and laughing about a film he had made that made me fall off the couch laughing. I nearly jsut fell out of my chair laughing at it all over again. My dad and I were watching the George Pierott Wide World Of Sports (I was about 6 or so) and Stan was there in film. He was climbing this mountain, almost straight up! I couldn't believe it! The mountain was flat, there was absolutely nothing to hold on to but yet there he was, crawling up like a fly. I kept yelling "Look dad, look!" Then, unfortunately, his bike fell over and so did the camera and there was old Stan, crawling along the road He had angled the camera to look like he was climbing a mountain. I laughed so hard!:

You know who might be able to help you? Someone at the WXYZ TV station. I'm still in the Detroit area, and can check on it if you would like. Or, if he's still alive and living in Florida, Bill Kennedy, he might know. He had the show where he had movies , I think it was called Show Time, and I think Carol Duvall (who has a show on cable tv) did a stint on his show.

I also saw Stans films at the Fort Rotunda in Dearborn at Christmas time years ago.

Let me know if you would like me to check around for you.

Michel

The World Adventure Series with George Pierott was on WWJ-TV from 4 to 5pm weeknights, not Wixie. You've got a good idea, though, and I wonder if World Adventure is still located in the offices of the Detroit Institute of Arts. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to follow up on that.

BTW, did you know Don Cooper's Alaska films are available on DVD? I've got the address around here somewhere and I'll look it up if you'd like.

Michael.....
    ......by the way, there's a good thread on the history of the Fort Street Union Depot, associated rail yards and other misc. Detroit rail history on www.detroityes.com Look for the thread "Detroit's 2nd Train Terminal". You may have to scroll down a bit to find the topic lead, and it's v e r y long, but very informative.

I note this is your first post. There is a "thing" on the Soulful Detroit fourm I'm a member of, and it's a very good thing. So in that spirit.....welcome to this forum. The moderator is very nice (or at least he hasn't bitten my head off......yet), the folks here are very knoledgable. Enjoy the ride.

7. Default Stan Midgley

Doug:

You're right, I thought it was chanel 7, but it may have been 4 or 2. We had so many chanels to pick from back then, 2,4,7,9 and, on a clear day, 13! All I really remember, besides the Stan Midgley segments is that Van Patrick had this big square mouth and talked about golf a lot and it made me crazy Kids are so funny

No, I didn't know abuot Don Cooper being on DVD. Yes, I would certainly like the address. I was talking to my Mom about this last night - she's 91 - and she was very happy remembering it all. I bet the Don Cooper DVD would really make her happy. Are you in the Detroit area? There is a really neat site for old Detroit buildings at ForgottenDetroit.com, i believe it is. Check it out if you get time.

Thanks for looking for that address. Were you a Birdbath? I was - good old Soupy Sales

Michel

Try this.....
    www.doncooperfilms.com Most of them (including "Lumberjack In Alaska", my favorite) are on VHS, but acouple of them are available on DVD.

Actually, I'm in North Central Washington state, about 150 yards off the BNSF main line. And don't ask me how a kid from Ferndale ended up out here. My haunts were the GTW Detroit Division and the CN in Southeastern Ontario, with many trips behind CN 4-8-4 6167 and 6218.

9. Default Stan

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have friends who live in Ferndale, was there last night, in fact. Drove down Woodward Avenue past the old Federal Department Store, which is something else now and 'remembered when'. Boy, things were sure different then:) Still, it's a nice city, quaint, small and friendly.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Michel

10. Default Sure Do!! I remember Stan Midgley!!

I used to attend many of the old 'World Adventure Series' presentations at the Detroit Institute of Arts in the '70's and '80's.

Stan Midgley was a favorite of mine for many years!

Here is an autographed program and ticket from one of his many shows!

Enjoy!

Edward/Detroit, MI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast