Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding the Texas Eagle

Default Riding the Texas Eagle

My Dad and I took a small trip on Amtrak's Texas Eagle from Taylor to Fort Worth last Thursday. I was very impressed in the trip. The train was overall very clean, we had no trouble with little kids, and the entire staff was very friendly.

We got to the station in Taylor an hour before the schedualed arrival (11:23AM) just to watch the action. I at around 11:10 I walked out UP's station in Taylor to check the siginal's to see if the track was aligned for Amtrak yet and to my surprise, I saw the unique lights of Amtrak 125 down the line. It was early! I took position and got this coming in shot of the Texas Eagle.

My Dad and I were the only passengers getting on in Taylor so we had an early departure. We got our seats but headed straight for the sightseer's lounge. Photography from Amtrak is harder than I thought it would be. I finally was able to get some decent shots in Temple when switched to BNSF trackage for the run to Fort Worth and stopped at the old Santa Fe station there. #2 is a shot of the engine terminal there.

Three SD45-2s moving around the yard kept us entertined during the stop.

After we got out of Temple the engineer opened her up and we flew. You know you are moving when you start passing cars on the highway. We never stopped or even slowed for another train the entire trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0978.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	33486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0990.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	33487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0991.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	33488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1003.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	33489  

UP Wings
    -Brian-

During our short stop in Cleburne I got a chance to see some freshly painted gondolas with the new BNSF logo on them. Those things shinned even though I was looking through tinted windows.

The rest of the trip was awsome but I put my camera down for once and took it all in. We got to Fort Worth right on time. Here is a shot of our nobel steed getting something to drink.

The Amtrak set that runs from Fort Worth to Oklahoma City was there and I got this shot of a cab unit. They have a regular powered unit on the other end but use the controls of this one. I guess they don't have a chance to turn the set after runs.

One of those transet trains came through too. They run on a fast schedual of every 15 min. An odd shot of the set headding off under a building.

Well, that was my trip. I enjoyed it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1017.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	33490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1027.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	33491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1031.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	33492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1038.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	33493  

UP Wings
    -Brian-

3. Default

Nice pictures!! . . anybody know whats with them gondolas? they look like cutdown coalveyors

Great Photos. Photography is easy on Amtrak if you get use to it.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UP Wings
    My Dad and I were the only passengers getting on in Taylor so we had an early departure.
    Great shots, but shouldn't you have said an on time departure? I doubt that they left ahead of the posted departure time.
    Mark St. Aubin
    My railroad photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47162644@N07/

6. Default

Brian,

This awesome photo looks like HO scale model trains a litle bit~
    http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...chmentid=33493

I was not watching the time close but I think we left early. The conductor said that they only have two to pick up in Taylor and we were them. Well, we did have time to walk the train before it pulled out . . . hmmm at the latest we pulled out right on time.

That picture does. If someone put that scene on a layout I would question weather there really was an office building over the tracks like that but there it is. I would love to have a seat in one of those windows.
    UP Wings
    -Brian-

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UP Wings
    I was not watching the time close but I think we left early. The conductor said that they only have two to pick up in Taylor and we were them. Well, we did have time to walk the train before it pulled out . . . hmmm at the latest we pulled out right on time.

That picture does. If someone put that scene on a layout I would question weather there really was an office building over the tracks like that but there it is. I would love to have a seat in one of those windows.

Everything looks like a model in that shot ... especially the track and trains!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SPMW
    Nice pictures!! . . anybody know whats with them gondolas? they look like cutdown coalveyors
    For what it's worth, I heard that all new gons are made out of aluminum, probably from Johnstown America, which is a famous railcar manufacturer to use aluminum.
    Don't ask me, I just work here.

Good stuff Brian. I've only riden the Eagle twice; once Austin to Temple & back the same evening, and once to Dallas and back over a long weekend. It sure is a nice ride back south between Temple & Taylor with the setting sun off to the western horizon. Thanks for posting pics.

Drew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast