RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two killed in crash involving Amtrak train, freight train - South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anderson View Post
    Would Positive Train Control (PTC) prevent this kind of accident?
    Yes, absolutely! I've been running with PTC since June. If a switch is out of position, it informs the PTC computer to give the train a Stop signal at the signal entering the block. It would not let the train go any faster than restricted speed up to the switch and it would have informed the Engineer that the switch was open in a text line on the screen. I tested that function over 2 years ago on our mainline while testing PTC and it works. PTC stopped my train before I went past the switch unless I acknowledged that the switch was in the proper position to allow me to enter the siding where I was directed to go. If the switch was say, at the other end of that CSX siding such that you would run through the switch, damaging it, PTC would not let you foul (the act of putting your train in a dangerous position that would cause an accident if somebody went through the switch in front of you) the switch until the switch was then lined for mainline movement.

Thanks. Are those odd looking antennas I see on the Geeps running through Edmonds related to PTC?
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BNSFEng View Post
    Yes, absolutely! I've been running with PTC since June. If a switch is out of position, it informs the PTC computer to give the train a Stop signal at the signal entering the block.
    Thanks for the update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12