RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Great Grandfather and Locomotive ID Help

1. Question Great Grandfather and Locomotive ID Help

Greetings! We recently acquired several old family albums. This picture of my Great Grandfather and some other men with this locomotive is one of the pictures that was included.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MatthewBlackTrain.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	134369

This picture was taken about 1906 or 1907, probably in New York City area. My Great Grandfather was a Machinist. We are guessing that he might have been on the crew that built or maintained this cool old machine.

Any and all help with the ID is appreciated!

All the best.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks very much like a narrow gauge locomotive. Most standard gauge 2-8-0's would have drivers over 4 feet diameter. Those appear to be about 3 feet as is typical of narrow gauge.

The Denver & Rio grande (Western) had locomotives very similar, and numbered in the 200's.

Here's a couple of typical ones:

Headlights change, cabs could be wood or steel, 1 or 2 air pumps located in different locations, etc.

There is a tender in the left background that has large numbers on the side. That numbering style may be a clue about which RR it was.

3. Default

Thank You!

4. Default

Great photo, I also enjoy the restoration of old photos! Thank you for sharing this! You should be interested in reading this article how to repair old photos in Photoshop https://damagedphotorestoration.com/...photoshop.html
    This is my favorite blog about photography!
    Last edited by JudyTwombly; 03-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.