RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak Cascade Derailment at Dupont, WA

Tuesday morning update. The NTSB has reported that the train was going 80mph in a 30mph zone. The new stretch of track is equipped with PTC, but it is not operating.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ticle_left_1.1
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

2. Default

Well - not sure what the chain of command was thinking or doing at that speed? Whatever it was, it was not good judgement for conducting transportation. Prayers to the victims of this tragic event.

Were any train / railroad enthusiast members from this forum aboard the 501 inaugural run?

Thank you to all the first emergency responders.
    Last edited by LinkagePeg; 12-19-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: question

Here is a link to some good videos from King5 News of the Charger diesel being hauled away from the scene. For those not familiar with the area, the diesel is being hauled northbound in the southbound lanes of I-5. The haul is up a fairly steep grade leading up out of the Nisqually Basin.
    http://www.king5.com/article/news/lo.../281-500446781

The article said the diesel is being taken to Joint Base Lewis-McChord. There are spurs at Ft. Lewis where tanks and other large military vehicles are loaded onto flatcars for transportation by rail. Perhaps the diesel will be loaded onto a flatcar there.

Here is a video by Glenn Farley of Seattle's KING 5 News that gives a good overview of the accident scene. Glenn, who has covered transportation stories for KING 5 for over 25 years, knows a lot about trains; both as a railfan and as an award-winning model railroader.

There are lots of videos on You Tube of the accident.

The more we learn about Amtrak derailment the stranger it gets

http://thehill.com/opinion/technolog...ranger-it-gets
    "A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Article:

...much — if not all — previous route qualification training had taken place at night when busy freight railroad traffic could accommodate the luxury of a non-revenue passenger train on multiple training runs.
    ---------------

...busy freight railroad traffic???

Bruce

7. Default

Article itself seems odd. What was actually going on in that cab, and who was driving look like key issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    My thought exactly. For those not familiar with the new by-pass route, there is no busy freight traffic. The line is used by Tacoma Rail to serve Ft. Lewis and there is very little freight traffic on it. I drove down to Vancouver a few days ago and noticed the freight speed boards are 10 mph. I have seldom seen a train on the line over the past 26 years I have been traveling the section of I-5 parallel to the tracks. Prior to the rehab, at times it appeared to be used for car storage.
    https://www.mytpu.org/tacomarail/gen...ail-system.htm

The article presents few facts but cites a lot of rumors, which is why I caution readers to wait until the investigation is completed before drawing any conclusions. I do agree with the author that 1-2 years seems a bit long to wait for release of the final accident report unless administrative and/or court hearings are involved.

There is a list of destroyed/damaged cars on this page:
    http://on-track-on-line.com/amtk-roster-trainsets.shtml

Here is a video made by a local railfan of the lead locomotive (Siemens Charger #1402) being hauled away from the site.
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 01-08-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    Article:

---------------

Bruce
    The article also talks about a student engineer when in fact it was a qualifying conductor not an engineer sitting in the conductor's seat. The amount of training is definitely going to be looked at and perhaps, the lack of a supervisor of engines on the maiden revenue run. I hate to bring it up again, but each operator should have consulted a current timetable and they should have emphasized to be aware of the 30 MPH curve after a 10 mile, straight track, high speed run during the normal pre job brief. Did this occur??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast