RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak Cascade Derailment at Dupont, WA

1. Default

As Per The NTSB spokesperson at today's most recent press conference - It was stated that this disaster does meet the criteria of the Rail Disaster Family Assistance Act.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Wanted to clarify something about the Amtrak train. The news says stuff like "An Amtrak passenger train on its inaugural trip on a new service route"... They forgot one important word "first PUBLIC trip" They've been running test trains on this route for months. They've spent the last month or so qualifying the engineers on the line. They go out and are trained and tested before they're allowed to operate a revenue trip. It's not like they say "Here's a map Bill, head south along 5 and turn left" and put you on a train full of passengers.
    Yes, indeed, it was the first REVENUE run. (Meaning with paying customers). But it was far from the first train over the track. This wasn't the railroad version of a test flight. It was an experienced crew on a track that was inspected and tested thoroughly before opening. The engineer, who is a friend, but who's name I'm intentionally not mentioning, posted comments on his FB page about qualifying on this line in previous weeks. This was NOT his first time over the track. They don't do things that way.

Very good point.

From the aerial photos, one of the new Siemens Charger engines was leading the train on its south end.

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I was making that same point to my wife as we were discussing the accident.
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 12-18-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

Quote Originally Posted by LinkagePeg View Post
    Thanks for the updates. Tragic story and event. Was rolling about 75-80 MPH?
    The figure of 81 mph was put out by King5 News citing an Amtrak train tracking website. I would hesitate to rely on the reliability of that figure.

The media has been commenting that Positive Train Control was not in use at the time of the accident. Is this section of track equipped with PTC?

Updated story from the Seattle Times. Several photos of the wreck.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-near-olympia/

Amtrak isn't running PTC anywhere outside of the NEC.
    Eric
    RRF Photo Gallery

It's the same things your whole life. "Clean up your room!", "Stand up straight!", "Pick up your feet!", "Take it like a man!", "Be nice to your sister!", "Don't mix beer and wine, EVER!" Oh yeah, "Don't drive on the railroad tracks!"

8. Default

Thank's for the update Bill - Good photos.

9. Default

The current update from the FRA

https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L19257

Quote Originally Posted by roee View Post
    Amtrak isn't running PTC anywhere outside of the NEC.
    I suspect that today will be remembered as the day that changed.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadForums.com Host

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast