RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Meridian Speedway

Default Tales of the Meridian Speedway

Over the past two weeks I've gotten an ATCS monitoring system operational. Radio Shack Pro-97 and a Larsen UHF whip on my trunk. This has saved a lot of time hunting down the spotty traffic here on the Speedway. After seeing what Bill Anderson has done with the Seattle area at MPs 17 and 18, and Itsed67 around San Fran, I'd like to do a similar thing in North LA along the Meridian Speedway and surrounding lines. Posting will be sporadic as assignments come up, but railfanning makes for a good break from homework. So here goes....

Grab shot from the Sparta St bridge in Gibsland on the way back up to Tech from Houston.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KCS 4830 3 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	133297

KCS local from Monroe near Start, LA. When I saw this train I thought that the lead engine was the smallest SD70M I'd ever seen. But after checking the roster the 2904 is an SD40-2. I completely missed the fact she only had 4 axles.

Name:	KCS 2904 6 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	556.2 KB 
ID:	133298

I tested the antenna the night after I installed it, and took some long exposures in the area. This is an NS stack train EB approaching Sibley, LA. 2.5s, f/8, ISO 100.

Name:	KCS Approaching 2 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	133299

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope school is going well for you.

I need to get a scanner as well. I lost my handheld a few years ago and never replaced it. I have an ancient tabletop model circa 1980 somewhere that I need to hunt down. It only has ten channels, but that is enough for around here.

I bought my first house when I was in law school. The Western Pacific's South Sacramento yard was across the street and I could see the mainline from the street corner. I would leave scanner on while I was studying and take a short break when I heard a train approaching. I have a lot of slides from that era that I should scan and post up.
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

It was that time of the quarter before the mid-term when life becomes engineering, and nothing else. But Easter break is upon us, and yesterday I drove up to Little Rock to visit the Arkansas Maritime Museum. Over the course of the day I checked out UP operations in Little Rock and Fordyce (about an hour south of Little Rock). I hope to get back trackside on the Speedway itself before the weekend is out. But without further ado....

West end of the Little Rock hump.

Name:	UP 7422 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	133344

NS Dash 9 crossing the UP lift bridge going into the Little Rock hump yard.

Name:	NS 9951 (Custom-LongExp).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	495.4 KB 
ID:	133345

F&P SW1500 resting behind the depot of the same in Fordyce.

Name:	F&P 1504 (Custom).jpg 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	133343

Grab shot. UP ACe pulling a stack train south to Texarkana or Shreveport through Fordyce.

Name:	UP 8959 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	528.2 KB 
ID:	133342
    Traveler of Texas, photographer of steel.

Back out on the Speedway. Started from Ruston, headed east to catch WB traffic. Bounced around Monroe for a little while trying to find good shots on trains in the city. No dice. Then around 1700 a WB showed up on ATCS, so I parked by the Ouachita River bridge and snapped a few shots. Chased it through to Calhoun where it went through at 1845. Only one good train on the day, but it was a good one.

KCS Monroe Yard power.

Name:	KCS 2913 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	547.1 KB 
ID:	133383

It's that time of year for senior pictures, so naturally the largest bridge in Monroe is the "must-have" backdrop.

Name:	Nimrods (Custom).jpg 
Size:	493.2 KB 
ID:	133384

NS stack train rounding the corner in downtown Monroe. This is the best consist I've seen this year. Good light, great power, and a road that I haven't shot a lot.

Name:	NS 2755 6 (Custom).jpg 
Size:	523.9 KB 
ID:	133382

A closer shot of the same.

Name:	NS 2755 9 (Custom-Small).jpg 
Size:	535.1 KB 
ID:	133385

Part 2 from Calhoun to follow.

Calhoun is a small town about 10mi west of Monroe, and 20mi east of Ruston. The sun stayed up, the clouds held off, and the train made it in time to snag a few decent frames.

NS 2755 leading a pair of GEs pulls a stack train past the E Calhoun CP.

Name:	NS 2755 2 (Custom-Small).jpg 
Size:	539.2 KB 
ID:	133389

Closing the gap.

Name:	NS 2755 3 (Custom-Small).jpg 
Size:	527.1 KB 
ID:	133388

Up close and personal.

Name:	NS 2755 4 (Custom-Small).jpg 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	133387

And it's a wrap.

Name:	NS 2755 5 (Custom-Small).jpg 
Size:	526.2 KB 
ID:	133386

Quote Originally Posted by USSHelm View Post
    It's that time of year for senior pictures, so naturally the largest bridge in Monroe is the "must-have" backdrop.

Name:	Nimrods (Custom).jpg 
Size:	493.2 KB 
ID:	133384
    Are there tracks across this bridge or is it a walking/bike path?

Get your your photos before the humidity and bugs drive you indoors for the summer. Are you within railfanning distance of the North Louisiana & Arkansas?
    http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...-updates/page6
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anderson View Post
    Are there tracks across this bridge or is it a walking/bike path?

Get your your photos before the humidity and bugs drive you indoors for the summer. Are you within railfanning distance of the North Louisiana & Arkansas?

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...-updates/page6
    It's solely a railroad bridge.

I'm from Richmond, Texas. Humidity and bugs are a way of life.

Almost, it's about a 2hr drive. I had planned on swinging by their yard in Lake Village over Easter break, but that didn't work out. At some point in the future I plan on going along the UP McGhee sub (Monroe, LA to Pine Bluff, AR) and I plan on carving out a couple hours to drive along NL&A's line.

Finals week and the end of the quarter are fast approaching. Not a lot of time for photography, rail or otherwise. However, there's been some unusual activity lately.

Horrible grab shot, except for the subject. Not shown here are about ~2 dozen Abrams MBTs, 4 SPGs or mortar tracks, along with a lot of Bradley APCs as shown. I think this was a part of the flurry of military trains that has been discussed on other forums. Train was led by UP power. I saw a second train the next day transporting Humvees, tanker trucks, and possibly radar equipment. The second train was also led by UP power. Most of the equiment on both trains was painted tan, and heading west so it's probably going to the NTC at Fort Irwin.

Name:	IMG_3256.jpg 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	133448

MoW convoy passed through Tech this morning.

Name:	KCS 2027W (Custom-Small).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	558.1 KB 
ID:	133449

Name:	KCS 2075W (Custom-Small).jpg 
Size:	573.6 KB 
ID:	133450

This may be my last post from the Speedway until August or September depending on the workload over the two weeks.

Lots of nice photos USSHelm. I heard that ATC Monitor is the way to go, I might need to look in to that.

Quote Originally Posted by brad_in_omaha View Post
    Lots of nice photos USSHelm. I heard that ATC Monitor is the way to go, I might need to look in to that.
    Thanks.

ATCS Monitor is a great tool. Highly recommend it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast