RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tales of the Meridian Speedway

Thanks for the photos. We are entering another week of winter rain, gloom, and doom in the Seattle area, which does not lend itself for outdoor activities such as photography. I enjoy looking at photos from those who can get out and take them.
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anderson View Post
    Thanks for the photos. We are entering another week of winter rain, gloom, and doom in the Seattle area, which does not lend itself for outdoor activities such as photography. I enjoy looking at photos from those who can get out and take them.
    Glad you enjoy the photos!

My car was in the shop for 3 weeks, got it back last Thursday. Friday afternoon I drove out to Vicksburg on 80 staying as close as possible to the Speedway. Caught a WB manifest just west of Calhoun and an EB stack train crossing the Mississippi. I couldn't find a good angle at the Mississippi bridge with the train EB and the sun setting, but it would make for a great sunrise/morning shot. Have to get out that way over Mardi Gras break.

Traveler of Texas, photographer of steel.

Good shots. Nice break from my midwinter gloom & doom.

More nice photos! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you sirs!

Thursday was the last day of sunshine before the rain comes in over Mardi Gras break. After class I hit the road to see what I could find. Passing through Choudrant I heard a WB on the radio loud and clear so I went up to a crossing to see if he was nearby. Between Ada and Calhoun the road is seperated from the tracks by anywhere from 10-500yds of forest depending on the location. Turned out he had just cleared the crossing I was at, he had slowed for what I think were faulty crossing arms in Choudrant as there was a reference to "two qualified flagmen at the LA145 crossing" on the radio. Hopped on I-20 and burned down to Gibsland where I shot some Louisiana Southern power while I waited for the WB. When I got back to Ruston after sunset there was a UP stack train tied down at Monroe Ave waiting for a green light. Good day, productive excursion.

Nice photo of the reflection of the WAMX units in the standing water.

Monday morning I rolled out from Gibsland at 0700 to chase the L&NW between Gibsland and Homer. The train didn't depart until approximately 1000, and I pursued until 1300 shooting it at the Athens Yard, Athens itself, off the side of LA9, Munix, and the LSU Ag Center. The skies were supposed to clear at 0600 but it remained overcast until 1600. Due to that I processed most of my shots in B&W as the original color shots came out pretty dull. At the same time the diffuse light allowed shots from angles that normally would be unusable in the morning. Tried my luck in Shreveport afterwards when the clouds cleared, but no dice.

Nice rural shots.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234