RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Why does this forum seem to concentrate on mostly photography and video?

Default Why does this forum seem to concentrate on mostly photography and video?

Greetings,
    Everytime I browse through the categories of this train forum, I find mostly photography and video related sub-categories. So this forum seems to be mostly focused on train photograhy and videos. Isn't there some kind of general discussion sub-category in this forum? I sure don't see one. There ought to be one. I can think of countless other railroad related sub-categories beside just photography and video.
    Is there some other well-visited forum that might cover all railroad and train subjects more even handedly besides just a emphasis on photography and video?
    Just something I noticed since I first signed up for an account here...
    Thank you

Like all internet forums, the content of this site is dependent on its members. While some of the site's sub-forums are dedicated solely to video and photography, many of the others are conducive to thoughtful discussions, as evidenced by members' responses to many of your questions.

As a moderator, I moved this thread to a different sub forum where it may generate more discussion.
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

One suggestion: look for a Yahoo Group that covers railroads in your area. The Yahoo Group format is better suited to discussions rather than the posting of photos.
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 12-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

Personally. my focus is watching trains go by. I like to photograph and record the sounds to listen to later. I have been lucky enough to have a few cab rides over the years and have talked to many railraoaders about their jobs. I have learned from forums like this and have enjoyed seeing the railroad scene in all parts of the world, places I will likely never see. As for discussion: I like to discuss the history of places and the railroad influence on those places. That being said, I like to leave the running of the company up to those who get paid to run it. I have heard of some other internet sites that comment on the running of the railroad and second guessing their decisions. Industry is not a football game. The railroads don't run for "entertainment of the public". If it wasn't for the fact that railroads have to be run in place where everyone can see and hear them, they would probably be as obscure as most industries. I certainly would not enjoy public access to my company with people wondering why I did not choose to run a certain product that day or why I bought a certain manufacturers equipment. I would enjoy being able to have the public see some of the machines that produce our product because they are really interesting to watch, much like a large machine pulling 10000 tons of coal flying by by at 50 mph. If you go back through this forum you will see some interesting and spirited discussions of a lot of interesting topics and you will learn a bunch of neat things, TomZ
    Last edited by CGW101c; 12-06-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added a couple of words
    Tom Zorko
    "She was a tall girl, could hunt geese with a rake"...Sheldon's mom