RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpness and my monitor

I keep looking at it and I think I am going to take the lens into the shop and have it checked.
    Tom Zorko
    "She was a tall girl, could hunt geese with a rake"...Sheldon's mom

What editor are you using? The reason I ask is that there are many methods to resizing, and some work better than others. Usually the biggest differences are noticed when enlarging but reducing can have significant impact on image quality. My primary editor PaintShop Pro has several resize choices and I find a big difference between the results. Even tho it is free and not a very powerful editor, I find Picasa does a pretty good job of converting RAWs and resizing. In the last few years many of my web posts use Picasa because it is some simple and quick.
    More pics in Kenw's Gallery

Have you broken any rules today? .....why not?

It still looks off. You said "No Edits" but are you re-sizing it? You photo is only 1024 pixels wide and the file size is only 131 KB? Shooting a high resolution photo and re-sizing it can create a soft image depending on how you do it.

With those settings in that much sun at that location, that image should be tack sharp.

I use DigiKam which is a Linux based software. Here are 2 versions of the same picture downloaded from the camera via the Nikon NX software and then resized in Arcsoft on a windows based computer. The 2nd one is lightly sharpened. Look really close please. I am at the point of changing software or lens on the camera. Thank you for your observations. Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UP 2363 Arc Soft.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	128532 Resized in Arcsoft

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UP 2363 Arc Soft Light sharp.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	128533 Lightly Sharpened in Arcsoft.
    Tom Zorko
    "She was a tall girl, could hunt geese with a rake"...Sheldon's mom

I think the second one looks good. I think almost everyone using an DSLR uses some sort of sharpening tool because we are reducing the number of pixels so drastically to get it down to the 1024+/- range.

I usually get the photo the way I want it for print and save it. Then re-size it, sharpen it, and save it again with a different name for the web.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12