Thread: The Bayard Sub - Iowa

Default The Bayard Sub - Iowa

EDIT: I Edited this thread to correct some in-correct information.

The Bayard Sub - former Milwaukee Road Mainline in Western Iowa

St Patrick's Day, I got up at the Crack of Dawn, but on my best green shirt, and headed over to Council Bluffs to Photograph some more Bald Eagles.

1. Probably got my best Bald Eagle Shot Ever!

After that I headed over to the Iowa Interstate to see what was going on.

2. The Rock Island Heritage Unit was parked outside the shop in the IAIS Yard.

Wile over there I heard the BNSF 3171 get a track Warrent from Council Bluffs all the way to Bayard. I have NEVER caught a train on the Bayard Sub so I scrapped my plans and gave chase!

3. I was pleased to find the BNSF 3171 also had former SF Blue and Yellow 8707 and former SF Red and Silver 520 with it! What a great train on a great line! Like I said before this train is on former Milwaukee Road Track, just to the right of this train is the former Rock Island & Pacific right-of-way. The photo was taken about a mile or so north of Highway 6.

4. Next shot is in the same spot, looking the opposite direction as the train heads under a now abandoned county road bridge.

5. Same spot again, another great feature of this train....... A CABOOSE!!!! In this shot, just left of the caboose, you can see the opening where the Rock Island & Pacific Track also went under this old bridge!

6. A few miles further north, heading towards the town of Underwood, IA

7. This shot is pure garbage. I shouldn't even be posting it. Its taken with an 800mm lens teleconverter combo. I liked how the barn was behind it, but technically its not a good photo.

8. This shot is just north of Neola, IA. On the South End of Neola, the Rock Island & Pacific changed sides of the Milwaukee and headed east and is not in this photo.

9. Shame location, better composition

10. Same location, facing the opposite direction.

I highly recommend chasing this line if you get a chance. lots of nice scenery and the track speed is only 25 mph. Next time I hope to go further north with the train.

Thanks for looking!
    Brad

Last edited by brad_in_omaha; 03-22-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Excellent shots Brad
    Ed Schopperth

As always, stellar photos!

4. Default

Great Eagle Pic. and great Bayard line pics, great locmotive colors.....However....the abandoned line is the Rock Island not the CGW. The IAIS as it is now, is running on the CGW from approximately Madison Ave to a place called Peter which is about 3 miles Timetable East of McClellend. That is where the new Rock Island split off and headed east towards Hancock. And yes the old Rock Island(Prior to 1952) did cross the Milw at Neola and headed east toward Walnut. Tom
    Tom Zorko
    The resale value of this car is gonna be practically nil after this trip -- WC Fields

Good shots..
    Jeff
    The Trainmaster
    Port of Abilene Kansas
    Have camera, will travel :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Heritage units seen:
    UP 1988 7/5/11
    UP 1989 7/10/11
    UP 2010 7/19/11
    UP 1995 8/1/11
    Have all the unpatched SP AC4400CW's on video
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MP 163.1 UP Salina Sub
    MP 58.1 BNSF Strong City Sub

Quote Originally Posted by papio View Post
    Excellent shots Brad
    Thanks Ed

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWantsTrained View Post
    As always, stellar photos!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CGW101c View Post
    Great Eagle Pic. and great Bayard line pics, great locmotive colors.....However....the abandoned line is the Rock Island not the CGW. The IAIS as it is now, is running on the CGW from approximately Madison Ave to a place called Peter which is about 3 miles Timetable East of McClellend. That is where the new Rock Island split off and headed east towards Hancock. And yes the old Rock Island(Prior to 1952) did cross the Milw at Neola and headed east toward Walnut. Tom
    Thanks, I will go back and correct my information!

Quote Originally Posted by UP Salina Sub View Post
    Good shots..
    Thanks Jeff!

7. Default

I did it almost five years ago and saw the same caboose: http://www.flickr.com/photos/railohio/4320626563. Glad I didn't have that ugly GE, though.

Quote Originally Posted by railohio View Post
    I did it almost five years ago and saw the same caboose: http://www.flickr.com/photos/railohio/4320626563. Glad I didn't have that ugly GE, though.
    I like your train better!!!

Nice catches!!!
    Buddy Burton--
    Buddy Burton Photography
    CentralStatesRailfans Photo Contest Moderator

Eastern Iowa RxR Frequencies:
    UP Double Main(Fairfax-Maple Park, IL)
    Dispatcher 12--161.040mHz

UP Double Main(Fairfax-East Missouri Valley)
    Dispatcher 19--160.890mHz

CRANDIC Main Channel--
    160.500mHz

Iowa Interstate--
    161.220mHz-Channel 1
    160.305mHz-Channel 2

Nice shots Brad!