Thread: Railroad Bridge for Sounder Train Lifted in to Place

1. Default Railroad Bridge for Sounder Train Lifted in to Place

As part of the project to extend Sound Transit's Sounder train south from Tacoma to Lakewood, a steel bridge girder was put in to place over Pacific Ave.

Trains to Lakewood should begin service in late 2012.

Always exciting to see new railroad construction happening in a time when abandonment of tracks is all too common.

2. Default

Its difficult to place the steel bridges but it save the time to complete the bridge by other method. pennsylvania railroad

I find it odd that so many improvements are going on in Tacoma and north of Lakewood, but nothing is apparently being done south of there?
    Lee Bishop

Quote Originally Posted by p51 View Post
    I find it odd that so many improvements are going on in Tacoma and north of Lakewood, but nothing is apparently being done south of there?
    The improvements South of there are on hold pending finalizing of the EIS. Money is available from the HSR initiative and hopefully construction will start in 2013 or 14.

Quote Originally Posted by p51 View Post
    http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/rail/pnwrc_ptdefiance/
    Brian Bundridge
    Puyallup, Washington
    Check out my photos on Smugmug!
    Want the latest news and information on Seattle Transit? Check out Seattle Transit Blog!
    Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad Conductor/Student Engineer

6. Default

Wow, I've really been out of touch. Haven't been in Tacoma in many months, and nowhere near the construction even then. Really nice to see all that nice new trackwork; even nicer to start seeing trains running on the line.

When will the bridge north of Freighthouse Square be replaced, and will it be a double track bridge?

--Damon

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Hill View Post
    Wow, I've really been out of touch. Haven't been in Tacoma in many months, and nowhere near the construction even then. Really nice to see all that nice new trackwork; even nicer to start seeing trains running on the line.

When will the bridge north of Freighthouse Square be replaced, and will it be a double track bridge?

--Damon
    It's a budget thing now and it will be a double track fill. It's planned but haven't heard when construction will begin since the budget crisis hit.