Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BNSF Kismet Collision

1. Default BNSF Kismet Collision

Hello to the railroadforums.com community! I was doing some reading about some of the more famous rail accidents and came across your site. I was looking for some more information about the Kismet BNSF accident where 2 trains collided head on. This may have been around 2006.

I found a thread about it here, but it seems to have a bunch of broken and outdated links. I know about that famous video on Youtube and other vid sites that was shot from inside one of the locomotives, and I've seen at least a couple of pics of the aftermath. I wanted to find out if anyone here knows of any old newscasts, articles or any other videos about this.

I'm also confused to where this took place. I think I've read that it took place in both Kismet and Madera. Maybe Kismet is the name of the terminal? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, I think there was a UP derailment in Madera earlier this year. This is not the accident I'm talking about.

2. Default

Try googling "BNSF Madera wreck".

I think that there was some pictures of the locomotives at locophotos.com.
    Look at the first two photos here: http://www.locophotos.com/Search.php...&Search=Search

Kismet is actually a little over a mile north of the Madera city limits; there isn't much there besides farmland, (or at least there wasn't fifteen years ago) and it's likely that someone either wasn't familiar with the area or was lazy and just said "It happened on Madera".
    Michael Swanson

Getting sick and tired of all the grasshoppers...

...and still working on ATSF 2926: New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society (NMSL&RHS)

5. Default

Thanks for all the replies. If anyone ever finds any other info about this, please let me know.

6. Default

BNSF 4479, ouch!!

It happened in June, 2006.

Here's a link to the FRA accident report on the collision.

http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/saf.../hq200648v.pdf

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffLH; 07-25-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: update link

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLH View Post
    It happened in June, 2006.

Here's a link to the FRA accident report on the collision.

http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/saf.../hq200648v.pdf

Jeff
    Cool, thanks for posting that, I too was always curious about this cornfield meet...
    Lee Bishop

Is this the same crash were where cab video was posted on YouTube from train #2?
    - Rosco

RailroadForums.com Moderator

- Trackside-Photography.com -

- My Railpictures.net -

Quote Originally Posted by Trackside View Post
    Is this the same crash were where cab video was posted on YouTube from train #2?
    Yep. It's the veiw from the crew that wasn't found responsible for the crash, which is pretty obvious anyway. That video is all over youboob, often mis-ID'd for other locations...
    Lee Bishop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast