RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: King Street / Amtrak Coach Yard

1. Default King Street / Amtrak Coach Yard

I'm going to start a new thread because the "Seattle Construction" thread is getting too long. With the removal of the Royal Brougham crossing panels, it can't be to far off before track improvements begin. According to the WSDOT website the project is to be completed by 2011.

Photo 1, the forman putting up the red flages as Cascades #510 moves into the station.

Photo 2, the crew is unscrewing the bolts.

Photo 3, same thing. This is the last photo taken from the parking garge before I was asked to leave because photography "is suspicoius activity".

Photo 4, so I moved to public property, this is from the SR519 overpass.

-KristopherJ

2. Default

Sorry about the chain link fence, but these three photos are from public property.

The Swingmaster lifted the panels and the excavator in the slot train stacked them inside. Clearence was tight for the excavator under the new Royal Brougham Street overpass.

-KristopherJ

Kinda hard to deal with those chain link fences, I noticed you decided to climb up on one of those ecology blocks to get some height over the fence.
    Maintenance In The Way, NW division.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    Kinda hard to deal with those chain link fences, I noticed you decided to climb up on one of those ecology blocks to get some height over the fence.
    It was good seeing you guys again. That jersy barrier really helped out giving me some height. I should have bought a ladder.

Did you guys get both mains and the Lander main done? I would have come back after lunch but there was too much traffic with the game going on.

-Kristopher

We did get both mains done and the Lander isn't completely done, i'm not sure if were going to remove some from the leads.
    We will be back to complete the job next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    We did get both mains done and the Lander isn't completely done, i'm not sure if were going to remove some from the leads.
    We will be back to complete the job next weekend.
    If you removed them from the leads Amtrak would have a COW! They use them to bring lots of stuff to the passenger trains, the mechanics and electricians carts and to get the crews back and forth from King Street Station to their offices in their van!!!

There are some paint markings on both leads crossings but I don't know what they are, something was mentioned about leaving some on for their access.

8. Default

Some progess has been made on the Amtrak/Sounder coach yard.

Looking north from the overpass a new crosover has been installed. Two LH turnouts have been installed; one you see in this photo and the other is directly under the overpass.

Looking south, another crossover has been installed, and the 2 trucks are parked on another LH turnout.

The last photo is from Holgate Street, a pile driver is working on what I assume will be a new engine faclility.

-KristopherJ

9. Default

On Saturday I went down to Seattle see the progress on the Amtrak coach yard.

The first photo is looking north. The new track tieing into old Main 2 looks to be completed except for the ballest regulator needs to do some work.

Looking south into the coach yard a new building is taking shape. Does any know if it will have a drop pit? Are drop pits still used/needed?

The last photo is more track work.

-KristopherJ

Quote Originally Posted by KristopherJ View Post
    On Saturday I went down to Seattle see the progress on the Amtrak coach yard.

The first photo is looking north. The new track tieing into old Main 2 looks to be completed except for the ballest regulator needs to do some work.

Looking south into the coach yard a new building is taking shape. Does any know if it will have a drop pit? Are drop pits still used/needed?

The last photo is more track work.

-KristopherJ
    No drop pit that I know of. Still used at the Interbay Round House for traction motors of engines. If you look closely you can see that Track 3 goes all the way through and is supported by steel beams throughout the building's foot print. They will be able to work under the passenger cars. Don't know if they will install any cranes on the inside.

On the track work side, you can compare your previous shots and see how the old lead 2 is totally gone and all of the old Main 2 is now Lead 2. There is going to be Track 2 in the next building they will build next to the current one being built. They moved the old Track 1 over and put a new switch in up near Royal Brougham. That removed a severe curve going toward the wash rack and opened up some space. They installed another north crossover so that Amtrak can move trains from Tracks 2 - 9 over to or from KS 3 - 7 on Lead 1 while we move about on Lead 2 from KS 1 or 2 down towards or from the wash rack on Track 1. Still more track work to do in the future.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast