RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Sound Transit Lakewood Extension Photos

Quote Originally Posted by KristopherJ View Post
    Bob maybe you, or BNSFEng, can help answer some questions I have about this re-built branch line. I'm working on a track chart, and the amount of information I have is limited. All I have is an Altamont Press TT and a 1998 BNSF track chart.

First, I've noticed that the milepost have changed by 0.47 mile. When you go to Google Earth and look at the bungalow on S. Chandler Street, it has "MP 3.43" on it. In the 1998 BNSF track chart, it has Chandler Street listed at MP 2.96.

Now I'm assuming this difference is from the new alignment up the hill from D Street. But why do the milepost go back to zero at Prairie Jct? Why have mileposts with an "x" when they could have continued the milepost numbers down to Nisqually? I assume this was not to confuse train crews who are use to the line, but all of the Amtrak Cascade engineers are new to this line and it seems this would have been the perfect time to redo the milepost. To me, it would be less confusing to have done that, instead of having duplicate milepost numbers that are differentiated by an x.
    Here is a small portion of my track chart at the north end. I put the start of the 2nd main at MP 3, does anyone know the exact mp location? Are there any cross-overs on the double-track section?

Attachment 133028
    Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
    -KristopherJ
    They redid all of the mileposts on the Lakewood subdivision. The sub begins at TR Jct. with MP 0.7 (no X) with Lakewood being MP 10.1. Going from there to Nisqually, MP 21.3?, I don't have a new timetable (2012 is the one I have) but it should be out I just need to get it especially with Amtrak currently doing it's high speed testing along the whole length of the sub up to 79 MPH!! Hilltop, MP 3.4, is an absolute signal so S. Chandler Street being MP 3.43 makes sense. Cross over at MP 1.1 currently and another will be on the new bridge when completed. No crossover on the new almost 4 mile double track section.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BNSFEng View Post
    They redid all of the mileposts on the Lakewood subdivision. The sub begins at TR Jct. with MP 0.7 (no X) with Lakewood being MP 10.1. Going from there to Nisqually, MP 21.3?, I don't have a new timetable (2012 is the one I have) but it should be out I just need to get it especially with Amtrak currently doing it's high speed testing along the whole length of the sub up to 79 MPH!! Hilltop, MP 3.4, is an absolute signal so S. Chandler Street being MP 3.43 makes sense. Cross over at MP 1.1 currently and another will be on the new bridge when completed. No crossover on the new almost 4 mile double track section.
    They did do away with the "x". Thanks for the update BNSFEng.
    From the web cams at Freighthouse Square, it looks like they are laying rail on the new trestle. The line will out of service between the 17th and 22nd.

-Kristopher
    Trained Eye Northwest
    www.trainedeyenorthwest.com

Quote Originally Posted by KristopherJ View Post
    They did do away with the "x". Thanks for the update BNSFEng.
    From the web cams at Freighthouse Square, it looks like they are laying rail on the new trestle. The line will out of service between the 17th and 22nd.
    -Kristopher
    The new south track will be cut in during those days with bus service between Puyallup and points south for mornings and evenings. The old trestle will be torn down then. Next year, the new bridge will be complete with cutting in of the north track.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how this will look at the station. Will there be a "wiggle" at the end of the bridge to make things line up? Or is there a third track planned in that area?
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadForums.com Host

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I'm trying to figure out exactly how this will look at the station. Will there be a "wiggle" at the end of the bridge to make things line up? Or is there a third track planned in that area?
    Wiggle, wiggle.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BNSFEng View Post
    Wiggle, wiggle.
    I was wonder if the tracks were going to be moved over toward the new retaining wall, and then they would extend the platform out so that the baggage cart had more room to turn.

On the Sound Transit website, it says there will be a platform on both sides of the tracks so two train can be in the station at the same time. I wonder if there will be an overpass so passengers can get over to the other platform, or will they fill it in with asphalt and people will cross the tracks?

-KristopherJ
    Trained Eye Northwest

7. Default

Went down to Tacoma today. Very quit with Amtrak trains running.
    The contractor was working on ballest today. As I was taking these photos from the East L Street overpass, a white truck came up behind and stopped. A guy came over and chatted with me. He worked for the contractor working on this project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAC-13A.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	133066

I asked him if the platform area was for the cross-overs. He said the cross-overs will not be on the bridge, they will right below the East L Street bridge. He said he convinced 'em that having cross-overs on a trestle is not a good idea. If a train detail at the switch its hard to get up there to rerail the cars and there is a risk of them falling off.

In this second photo you can see the "wiggle" that will be needed at the south end.

Name:	TAC-13B.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	458.2 KB 
ID:	133067

-KristopherJ
    Trained Eye Northwest

8. Default

The guy was saying the speed on the new trestle will be 60mph. The current speed is 40mph. He was pointing out the kink near the north end and the dip near the sound end from all the settling.

Name:	TAC-13C.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	133068

This photo is from D Street. That dip will be gone when the new trestle opens.

Name:	TAC-13D.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	353.6 KB 
ID:	133069

This section will be pushed over when the trestle is taken out of service on the 17th.
    If anyone wants photos of the old Milwaukee Road trestle, do it now. When the new trestle goes into service on the 23nd, the contractor will begin taking down the old one.

Name:	TAC-13E.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	133070

I heard Centralia North talking to the test train; AMTK 188 was pointed north. He was Manitou? Then we was at CP188, and was going north. The signal at D Street went red, I waited for about an hour and gave up. Never did see it.

-KristopherJ
    Trained Eye Northwest

3:30 PM Saturday I was on I-5 at Tillicum and saw the test train. It had AMTK 188 leading (North), one Coast Starlight Car, then AMTK 163 trailing (facing South). It was doing 10 to 15 mph. Cars on I-5 were slowing down because of it.

Saw on another site that Tacoma Rail crews are going to be doing the testing for AMTK.

FYI, if you didn't already know, Manitou is residential area West of the track; I believe it is S. 65th street.

Friend who works in Tillicum said earlier in week Sheriff Deputies were stationed at the crossings and warning people of trains to be starting soon with higher speeds then they are used to. He got warned because he pulled up onto the tracks waiting for traffic light to go green.

Nice to see the tracks in use, albeit just the test mode.

What is involved with the testing of newly laid track? Do they have equipment on the test train to determine if ballast etc is not level or?
    We've got a green, Hi Ball!

Quote Originally Posted by GN Goat View Post
    3:30 PM Saturday I was on I-5 at Tillicum and saw the test train. It had AMTK 188 leading (North), one Coast Starlight Car, then AMTK 163 trailing (facing South). It was doing 10 to 15 mph. Cars on I-5 were slowing down because of it.

Saw on another site that Tacoma Rail crews are going to be doing the testing for AMTK.

FYI, if you didn't already know, Manitou is residential area West of the track; I believe it is S. 65th street.

Friend who works in Tillicum said earlier in week Sheriff Deputies were stationed at the crossings and warning people of trains to be starting soon with higher speeds then they are used to. He got warned because he pulled up onto the tracks waiting for traffic light to go green.

Nice to see the tracks in use, albeit just the test mode.

What is involved with the testing of newly laid track? Do they have equipment on the test train to determine if ballast etc is not level or?
    They will test how the signals operate and how the crossing gates and lights time out so that there is proper protection of the public at the street crossings. Starting at slow speeds, going to 40 MPH and then 79 MPH!! Full use by Amtrak this fall with extra two round trips a day!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast