RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sound Transit Lakewood Extension Photos

1. Default

Made a trip to Tacoma to see the progress on the new trestle. Getting any good photos is tough; the best views are from the web cams on the link I posted up above.
    The best view is from the El Street overpass. That is where these 3 were taken from.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAC-11A.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	557.7 KB 
ID:	133007

On the Sound Transit website it says when the new trestle opens up, the old one will be taken down. Then construction will start on the second half for the second main.

Name:	TAC-11B.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	547.7 KB 
ID:	133008

This is a 300mm view. I never realized the platform at Freighthouse Square was sloped down. When you stand on it, it seems level.

Name:	TAC-11C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	530.2 KB 
ID:	133009

This photo is taken at D Street. I'm guessing a cross-over will be installed here and this will be where the double-track ends.

Name:	TAC-11D.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	533.2 KB 
ID:	133010

-KristopherJ
    Trained Eye Northwest
    www.trainedeyenorthwest.com

I hadn't realized just how severe that reverse curve really was (even after taking forced perspective into account); even if it were double track, that curve is reason enough for a new trestle.

That area is a lot like NE Albuquerque; it may seem level in places, but when you start walking toward the mountains you'll realize there's a decent slope (and when you look west, you really see how much of a grade there is).
    Michael Swanson

Working my butt off...

...and working on ATSF 2926: New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society (NMSL&RHS)

I believe the idea is to cut in the one track, tear down the old trestle and build the other half of the bridge to put in the second track.

Doesn't look too severe from above.

http://tinyurl.com/zdnp2pd

Bruce

In some other news on the rebuilding, Loram had a one unit on the new track about 10 days ago grinding the rails along I-5 from JBLM (Fort Lewis) day and nite. People on I-5 at nite were slowing down because of the all the sparks coming from the grinding.

The contractor has their track equipment out including the ballast train, and other track equipment, doing some fine tuning. Signs at Tillicum warning motorists that RR Signal Crossing testing starting this week.
    We've got a green, Hi Ball!

6. Default

What AAR channel do Sounder trains use on the Lakewood Sub?
    The last Altamont TT #8, has 87 as the BNSF road channel, then under Tacoma Rail on page 57, it has 69 as their road channel.

-KristopherJ
    Trained Eye Northwest

The crossover is actually going to be in the middle of the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by KristopherJ View Post
    What AAR channel do Sounder trains use on the Lakewood Sub?
    The last Altamont TT #8, has 87 as the BNSF road channel, then under Tacoma Rail on page 57, it has 69 as their road channel.

-KristopherJ
    It is ch 87 from TR Jct to Lakewood according to ST's timetable since ST owns the track with BNSF dispatching it.

Quote Originally Posted by NM_RailNut View Post
    I hadn't realized just how severe that reverse curve really was (even after taking forced perspective into account); even if it were double track, that curve is reason enough for a new trestle.
    It's not severe at all. Nowhere near sharp enough to be the limiting factor for speed on the line. Now the curve near Brown and Hailey is a different matter, but the one on the bridge was never a concern.

Have a look at this video to get a better feel. It's no worse than usual. The bridge is at the very start of the video.

Of course Sound Transit doesn't give cab rides, and employees can't use electronic devices not directly related to the job, so whoever shot this had to get creative. He filmed out of the back window on a southbound run, and reversed the video, which is why some stuff looks strange.

Last edited by Bob; 01-30-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadForums.com Host

10. Default

Bob maybe you, or BNSFEng, can help answer some questions I have about this re-built branch line. I'm working on a track chart, and the amount of information I have is limited. All I have is an Altamont Press TT and a 1998 BNSF track chart.

First, I've noticed that the milepost have changed by 0.47 mile. When you go to Google Earth and look at the bungalow on S. Chandler Street, it has "MP 3.43" on it. In the 1998 BNSF track chart, it has Chandler Street listed at MP 2.96.

Now I'm assuming this difference is from the new alignment up the hill from D Street. But why do the milepost go back to zero at Prairie Jct? Why have mileposts with an "x" when they could have continued the milepost numbers down to Nisqually? I assume this was not to confuse train crews who are use to the line, but all of the Amtrak Cascade engineers are new to this line and it seems this would have been the perfect time to redo the milepost. To me, it would be less confusing to have done that, instead of having duplicate milepost numbers that are differentiated by an x.

Here is a small portion of my track chart at the north end. I put the start of the 2nd main at MP 3, does anyone know the exact mp location? Are there any cross-overs on the double-track section?

Name:	TRACK CHART_LAKEWOOD SUB_NORTH.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	133028

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.
    -KristopherJ
    Trained Eye Northwest

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast