RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Transit Lakewood Extension Photos

Default Sound Transit Lakewood Extension Photos

I thought I'd take a few minutes and post some photos I've been taking over the last couple of months.

The work on the M St to Lakewood section is moving along pretty fast and is quite impressive.

1) From the Union St overpass looking North (railroad). The Birdseye lead is on the left and a freight lead heading south is under construction. Note the concrete ties under the switches and "top of the line" derails.

2) Looking South from Union St, the ties were being hand layed for the freight lead.

3) From a few days earlier, work under Union St.

4) From a media event hosted by Sound Transit. A ride in a Tacoma Rail high rail truck approaching Pine st. I imagine the traffic will be more considerate to a 60 mph Sounder train.

5) Almost to the SR 16 overcrossing (Nalley Valley Viaduct), the main line ends for now. The freight lead will be completely rebuilt and now connects to the old track to the foundry. The truck was rolled over the switch with great care as there was concern that the truck might derail on the spring frog.

6) Looking north from just north of the Nalley Valley Viaduct, a retaining wall is being constructed on the left, while a lone hopper car awaits the brief window in which it can be retrieved.

7) Looking south from Alaska St, with the new viaduct under construction, while new track work is laid below.

8) The end of the line, for now, one block south (west) of M St, looking railroad south, freight lead off to the right.

9) How long will it be, before we can see something like this? A Northbound Sounder passing under the M St bridge. This is of course a photo illustration.

Impressive! I didn't realize things were moving along on the upgrades already. Interesting to see the use of concrete tie turnouts too.

I love that last photo too! Looking forward to the day I can head down and watch a Sounder roll through there.
    It's about people: They come to work around the clock every day of the year. In freezing storms, track twisting heat and back again. They are here to keep this railroad running. We call these people: Rails

Sorry to nitpick, but that would be the Yakima St Bridge...There is not a bridge at M st. I used to go through there biking home after work and I distinctly remember M St not having a bridge =D

Awesome shots! For me, being a displaced former resident, it is good to see the progress made.
    A learning experience is one of those things that say, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' - D. Adams

Will there be any platforms built at the former NP south Tacoma site?
    Maintenance In The Way, NW division.

[QUOTE=thaddeusthudpucker;254709]Sorry to nitpick, but that would be the Yakima St Bridge...There is not a bridge at M st. I used to go through there biking home after work and I distinctly remember M St not having a bridge =D

QUOTE]

Uhh, maybe it's been too long. M St does indeed have a bridge across the tracks. I took the photo at a point where Ainsworth St would cross the tracks, looking east. There are two more streets that dead end above grade from the tracks, as the right of way starts to drop in elevation. M Street cross the tracks by about 30' or so. Yakima is 4/10ths of a mile east of M street and around a curve to the north. Not visible from where I'm standing.

Thanks for the update and photos! Very impressive progress indeed. I'm looking forward to watching the Coast Starlight struggle up the grade out of Tacoma when the new passenger cut off is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by thaddeusthudpucker View Post
    Sorry to nitpick, but that would be the Yakima St Bridge...There is not a bridge at M st. I used to go through there biking home after work and I distinctly remember M St not having a bridge =D

Awesome shots! For me, being a displaced former resident, it is good to see the progress made.
    Quote Originally Posted by DelmonteX View Post
    Uhh, maybe it's been too long. M St does indeed have a bridge across the tracks. I took the photo at a point where Ainsworth St would cross the tracks, looking east. There are two more streets that dead end above grade from the tracks, as the right of way starts to drop in elevation. M Street cross the tracks by about 30' or so. Yakima is 4/10ths of a mile east of M street and around a curve to the north. Not visible from where I'm standing.

Well, If you really want to be certain, that is indeed the M street overpass. I live on the South End and would take M street over the tracks regularly when they were replacing the Delin and Yakima bridges over I-5. I've seen quite a few impressive shots from Jim Fredrickson's collection taken from that overpass. The Yakima St. bridge is a bit higher and I don't see any transients parked under this one.
    Nick A. Kaminski
    -Industrial Wildlife Hunter-

Vanity Link:Photos With My Name on 'Em

This looks like a better place to add photos I plan to take this weekend in Tacoma of the new line and the stations along the Sounder extention to Lakewood. Hopefully, I'll post them by Monday.

Default Lakewood Extention Update 5/20/12 Part I

Spent a few hours yesterday going from the start to the finish of the Lakewood Extention. The weather was warm but the sun was elusive.

1. According to WSDOT the Environmental Assesment will be done this year and the FRA will rule on it next year for the improvements south of here for Amtrak to run down to Nisqually and rejoin the Seattle Sub there. Construction is planned to be done by 2016. This is south of the Lakewood station. A planned long siding is supposed to be built to the right of the main. Passenger trains will meet here.

2. Looking back north across Bridgeport Way the crossing is already for two tracks.

3. From the second floor of the parking garage at the Lakewood Station looking down at the platform.

4. From track level looking south.

1. Attachment 120097 2Attachment 1200983Attachment 1200994. Attachment 120100

Default Lakewood Extention Update 5/20/12 Part II

5. Looking north from the platform. The signal is turned away but enrgized showing red over red.

6. This is about 1/2 mile north of Lakewood and the mainline is to the right and the line to the military bases is to the left.

7. Looking north from the same location. Notice the siding will be installed later with the crossing ready for the other track.

8. This the view south from the 60th St crossing from the South Tacoma Sounder Station.

5. Attachment 120101 6. Attachment 120102 7. Attachment 120103 8. Attachment 120104

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast