RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 188 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mile Post 18 news

Default Mile Post 18 news

Rather than start a new thread every time something news worthy passes by MP 18, I am going to post it on this thread. Others are welcome to post their photos here if they too see something interesting roll through Edmonds.

Today a private car was attached to the rear of the eastbound Empire Builder. MP 18 regular Carolyn had seen it roll through on the end of the westbound Builder a few days earlier.
    Attachment 102539
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 06-22-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Bill Anderson, Mile Post 18 regular

There was a traffic jam in Edmonds this afternoon as the Garbage Train was held at MP 18 for a very long container train, then the afternoon passenger fleet. The first Sounder was about 15 minutes late, which backed up the trains behind it.

Garbage Train watches the container train roll by.
    Attachment 102588

Rear DPUs pass the Garbage Train.
    Attachment 102589 Attachment 102590

Close on the heels of the container train is the first Sounder. Three trains are visible in this shot.
    Attachment 102591
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 07-10-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anderson View Post
    Photo #4: Close on the heels of the container train in the first Sounder.
    The first N/B Sounder is 3 cars now? When did that change? Last time I worked, it was still a 2 car set.

And thats an interesting stance the conductor's taken in photo #3!
    It's about people: They come to work around the clock every day of the year. In freezing storms, track twisting heat and back again. They are here to keep this railroad running. We call these people: Rails

Quote Originally Posted by RailroadJeep View Post
    The first N/B Sounder is 3 cars now? When did that change? Last time I worked, it was still a 2 car set.
    I don't know when the change was made. I assume that more cars are added with an increase in riders. Here are photos of the second N/B Sounder. That is the Mile Post 18 Gang in the right of photo #2: Steve, Dave (Hobo), Carolyn, and my son Daren.

Attachment 102592 Attachment 102593
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 11-25-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Default Loram Rail Grinder

This morning the Loram Rail Ginder train was parked on the siding in Edmonds south of the Dayton Street crossing. Good photos are difficult without trespassing on railroad property.

It was on the Boeing siding at Mukilteo about 5pm yesterday. It must be working the area.
    - Rosco

RailroadForums.com Moderator

- Trackside-Photography.com -

- My Railpictures.net -

On the past two Sundays Sound Transit has run a special train from Everett to Seattle for the Mariners' games. For last Sunday's game, a six car trainset was formed by coupling two three car trainsets back to back. Today's train set held only five cars, which surprised me as Safeco Field was nearly sold out for the four games with the Yankees.

I caught the train returning to Everett after the game.

Default Bak to the 80's

For those who like older BN units, this work train passed by Mile Post 18 today on its way to Interbay Yard in Seattle.

Default foreign power & a quick turn around

Hobo, the Sage of Mile Post 18, saw a Seattle bound Z train pass MP 18 between 9:30-10:00 this morning. Included in the power lashup were a Northfolk Southern GE unit and a Canadian National wide body EMD unit with wide zebra stripes on the side and a "Draper Taper".

We saw the same consist pass MP 18 at 9:15 tonight heading an eastbound Z train. That is about a 12 hour turnaround time for the diesels, which I thought was fairly quick. Any comments from the professional railroaders in the audience?

I took this photo of the Chicago bound Empire Builder yesterday with my new 100-400 telephoto zoom lens. The train is departing Edmonds with the head end approaching the east MP 18 sign while the rear is passing the west MP 18 sign. I don't know which sign is the more accurate.

I thought it amusing that the diesel engines of this train were consecutively numbered: #166 in the lead followed by #167.

Attachment 102705
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 11-25-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 188 1231151101 ... LastLast