RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stockyards - Omaha, NE

Default Stockyards - Omaha, NE

Stockyards - Omaha, NE

100 year old photos, I believe from they were from the Durham Museum Archives, but I am not sure.

Wow! That is simply amazing. Not only the extent of the stock yard, meat packing, and refrigerator car facilities, but all of the rail infrastructure that it took to support them. The track work is really interesting. I'm surprised at the extensive use of single and double slip switches in some of the yards. I've always associated those with passenger terminals - not freight. Also, the freight equipment is really interesting. The "tripple" - triple point switch is called a three way or lap switch.

Very cool! Thanks Brad!

Quote Originally Posted by brad_in_omaha View Post
    Stockyards - Omaha, NE

100 year old photos, I believe from they were from the Durham Museum Archives, but I am not sure.

This is the Omaha Livestock Exchange Building, when it was brand new! We stopped by and marveled at it when we were nearby having a steak dinner. The building is a National Register property, and has been renovated into spiffy apartments. I hope they succeed. Thanks for the pics, Brad!!!

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/landmarks/...29/Default.htm

This past July, our oldest son's wedding reception was held in the Livestock Exchange Building. There are two ball/meeting rooms on the upper floor, both are beautifully restored.
    Ed Schopperth

Ed How has the surrounding area been developed? Office buildings or industrial?

Also, lap switches can be found here and there in industrial switching areas. There's even one here in Seattle at the Interbay engine service facility. They are typically used where space is at a premium ( as in photo 38 ).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bentz View Post
    Ed How has the surrounding area been developed? Office buildings or industrial?
    There is a little of everything down there now. Metro Community College just put a Beautiful Huge addition on their building. There is a some industrial. There are also still rails and rail customers right along the UP R-O-W.

The new stuff is very suburban looking compaired to the olds stuff.

I'll bet that place smelled awesome...

I miss the BN...

Default OLd stuff

Thanks for posting those Brad.

"I'll bet that place smelled awesome..."

I still remember the smell from the 60's, nothin' like a hot day in South Omaha.

One thing that I was interested in. The UP station seen in No.4 is now a UP baggage car without trucks. UP's replacement for the station, in the 60's(I think). Same location.

Great Old photos.
    Rick Zorko

"Let me 'splain, No there is too much. Let me sum up."

Took me a little bit to find this. Scan of slide is slightly out of focus. This view is roughly the same as Picture #15. Mine is circa 1970.
    Tom Zorko
    "She was a tall girl, could hunt geese with a rake"...Sheldon's mom

Ah the good old Omaha Stockyards, as I told Brad I collect stockyard items mainly from Omaha and Chicago as my familys shipped there,here is a overhead view of the yards(Omaha) dont know when no date on back

Can anyone pinpoint a aprox date on this..
    Todd
    UP Boone Sub Railfan
    mile post 215

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast