RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freedom train Engineer's card?

Default Freedom train Engineer's card?

Anyone seen one of these before?

I've never heard of this before, was this for real crew members or
    something you could buy from concessions? Todd Schannuth from the Freedom Train site thought maybe it a concessions thing that never got made in bulk as none of the AFT "veterans" he's talked to recall ever seeing them back in the 70s...
    Lee Bishop

or it could be totally made up.....
    More pics in Kenw's Gallery

Have you broken any rules today? .....why not?

Quote Originally Posted by kenw View Post
    or it could be totally made up.....
    No, there are a few others out there. This one was on ePay and I won it. Nobody would have gone to these lengths for a gag item as it would have cost a bit to get these made...
    Lee Bishop

Quote Originally Posted by p51 View Post
    Anyone seen one of these before?

I've never heard of this before, was this for real crew members or
    something you could buy from concessions? Todd Schannuth from the Freedom Train site thought maybe it a concessions thing that never got made in bulk as none of the AFT "veterans" he's talked to recall ever seeing them back in the 70s...
    or thay where just for people who made major donations to the restoration of the locomotive maybe
    Do you feel E-Railsafe?
    Why not?

What in the Wide,Wide World of Sports is going on around here? I hired you people to lay some rail!

I don't know about back then, but now engineer cards have information just like a drivers license and other data.
    Mark St. Aubin
    My railroad photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47162644@N07/

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p51 View Post
    No, there are a few others out there. This one was on ePay and I won it. Nobody would have gone to these lengths for a gag item as it would have cost a bit to get these made...
    Ehh, I dunno. It looks like a 'Franklin Mint'-esque commemerable type of thing. Is it collectible? Well, yeah if you collect that type of thing. Is it worth anything? Yeah, its worth what you paid for it.

A company I worked for had metal belt buckles made up for a project commemoration --about the same size and level of detail as what you have pictured. I don't know how much they cost but it is certainly easy enough to have made.
    Andy Tejral
    Montclair, NJ (land of no freight trains)

I've got train videos: mostly on youtube and a few on vimeo

I just got it today. It's much thicker than I would have thought, very well made and certainly worth the money (I didn't pay too much for it). Todd Schannuth from the Freedom Train site said he'd gotten a few off the same eBay vendor a while back and figured this must have been an extra somewhere as the seller hasn't had any more than this one since. He also said that one of them had a different signature set, including the first president of the foundation. I e-mailed the photo to a sign company that does brass engraving, they told me to set up for making something like this with camera ready art would cost hundreds of dollars and selling them off less than $15 each (which is the range all have gone for that I know of) would make it a loss.
    Lee Bishop

I have never seen this Card before. But I think it was for the Engineer of the SP 4449 or Reading 2101(American #1).

Well, I talked with Ed Immel (Vice President of the Northwest Rail Museum and member of the AFT crew in 1975-76) and Doyle McCormack (who led the restoration of 4449 and has been the main engineer since then) today, and both said they never saw them back then. Ed had never heard of it before, but Doyle had and never had seen one before I showed him the one I had. He thought maybe it was a promotional thing, like maybe something donors got or an ill-fated souvenir thing that never got mass produced (which was Ed's theory as well). Both agreed it was too well made for some fan to have put them ouyt, especially since very few have ever surfaced. Doyle actually wanted to buy it off me. Now, I wish I'd said, "tell you what, let me ride the cab on this run and I'll give it you." The runs they were making today were very short but it would have been worth it to me to let go of it.
    Lee Bishop

Look like Doyle wanted that card. Did you get to make a run with Doyle on the 4449?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast