RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Mediterranean Cruise I: Milano (50 p.)

Smile Mediterranean Cruise I: Milano (50 p.)

Mediterranean Rail Cruise 2008
    from Milano Centrale to Barcelona Sants by local train

Part 1:
    Milano Centrale and Peter-Witt-streetcar-extravaganza, August 17

Hi,

In the evening of rainy August 16 a colleague and I boarded the FS couchette car from Vienna to Milan on EuroNight 235 travelling to Rome, and after a regular 3-hour-stop during the night in Venezia Mestre we arrived at a convenient hour at Milano Centrale.
    With a little duplex-blurred eyes I walked along the sleeping car towards the Milan station shed. Finally a proper station again!

A look at the departure monitor showed that EuroStar 9431 to Roma Termini would be leaving soon at 9 a.m., so a quick change of platform, capturing goodbye-scenes...

And further down the platform...

Meanwhile E444 114 got ready for InterCity duty, and a whole group of Carabinieri arrived at a platform next to ours. One stood right next to us, but didn't say a word - probably they were on sprayer-watch.

A real EuroStar-jockey!

This beautiful signal box was still standing, I wonder how long, the usual hideous monster out of concrete and glass was already in use next to the station tracks.

Time to look into the shed...

Snack break for a few engines at the end of the track ;-)

After some photos inside one of the Carabinieri decided to prohibit my colleague to take pictures, must be some kind of reflex they are used to... ;-) I wasn't there to discuss, but we wanted to venture out into the city anyway, so it wouldn't have been worth it. Gladly that was the only incident of the journey (apart from one at Barcelona Sants, but that was just incredibly lame - I was disappointed not to have been able to show a little printout from the ADIF site to anyone in Spain... but more about that when we get there! ;-D)

After exiting the station you immediately step into a sea of "Ventotto" ("28") streetcars, based on the design of US-engineer Peter Witt, built 1928-30. These vehicles are so American that some have been transported from Milan to San Francisco and are in use there.

Tram meet on the Piazza Duca d'Aosta in front of the central station

Instead of the main boulevard towards the city center we followed the parallel Via Fabio Filzi where tram lines are running.

Pan shot in front of the church San Gioachimo (you don't get that saint too often... ;-))

Reflection of an old tram in one of the modern, but thankfully rare monsters, a "Sirio" built by AnsaldoBreda

The street is no high speed track - indeed! ;-)

On lawn tracks through the big city

S-curve on the Piazza della Repubblica

Streetcar-meeting in original livery within vegetation

Now we went for quick sightseeing by subway - I did the intensive tours of most places anyway in my childhood...

Cathedral and pigeon-

-people

Impressions of the well known Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II

McDonald's buys Prada, or something like that? ;-)

Back to the tramway, in the Via Tommaso Grossi you can get it with the gallery

Piazza Cordusio is a junction for several lines and meeting point for other tram types as well

The strange, asymmetric "Jumbotram" is here also at home

Front view of the asymmetric vehicle

Now we put in a short visit of Milano Cadorna station, a terminal of the Ferrovie Nord Milano (FNM).

Darling, ever thought of a buffer operation? ;-D

The station barriers are no problem thanks to a 3 Euro and something Milano day ticket

One of the old EMUs also arrived

Of course we couldn't miss a short tram ride and took this one.

Near the gallery we got off and went by subway to the cental station - more about the next leg of the journey in part two of the report! :-)
    Greetings,
    Roni

Up-to-date on Twitter: https://twitter.com/raildata_info @raildata_info
    Roni's trip reports and videos:

http://raildata.info

Roni - superb as always! Love those old trolleys - they look like US Brill cars.

Hi,

Thanks Jon, glad you like it! :-)

Read the text - they ARE designed in the US!
    Greetings,
    Roni

Up-to-date on Twitter: https://twitter.com/raildata_info @raildata_info
    Roni's trip reports and videos:

http://raildata.info

Lincolnshire, England (recently Ptuj, Slovenia)