Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locomotives of Hungary

Default Locomotives of Hungary

Hi!
    I want to show some hungarian locos.

The first:
    GANZ-MAVAG V43 [ nickname: Szili ]
    Universal electric locomotive

The first 8 was built in Krupp Werke, Essen, Germany, the other 371 in Budapest. (1963-1982).
    Numbering:
    tradition: V43 1001 - V43 1379
    UIC: 1143-1001-x to 1143-1379-x
    Voltage : AC 25kV 50Hz ( the first 60 : AC 16/25kV 50Hz )
    Power: 2220kWatt's = 3000HP
    Axle formula: B'-B'
    Max speed: 130km/h / 82mph
    Tractive effort: 270kN
    Weight: 80 metric tonns

This type is the generl electric loco of the Hungarian State Railways.You can see it all electrified lines in the country,from Intercity trains to the freight trains.

Tha loco is able to push-pull service with Bdt300 series pushpull control car and BHV type cars.
    Bdt Nr.317 control car:

The Hungarian State Railways (MAV) modernized 59 locos from 1999. They have new electronic system,UIC control header,and paint.
    This locos got new nick: Parrott .

Numbering:
    traditional V43-2100 -
    UIC: 1243-2100-x -

Some new 400series Bdt pushpull control car built at Bombardier.They works with only V43-2100 and above and "posta Bhv" cars.

Tha MAV bought 300 used passenger cars from DB for 2 years ago. It contains 27 Bybdtee type pushpull controll car. 7 old engine remaked to use this cars.They are the 3000 series engines. The MAV want to remake more23 locos,10 alredy under remaking.(click to bigger)

---

The old and modernized engine in Eger. (click to bigger)

The old dashboard:

V43 2277 in Youtube
    Last edited by bajusz; 04-12-2008 at 05:24 AM.

2. Default

Its got a steering wheel!

What is that thing for?
    Andy Tejral
    Montclair, NJ (land of no freight trains)

I've got train videos: mostly on youtube and a few on vimeo

That wheel is the traction motor voltage controller.Therewith can the driver change the voltage 32 steps ( 32*50Volts ).It has ++ , + , neutral , - , -- and 0 stand. [ very oldschool ]
    Last edited by bajusz; 04-10-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Hi!

The next loco, that i choosed:

Ganz-Mavag M-41 [ nickname: Rattler ]

diesel-hidraulic locomotive for passenger trains

Built(1972-1984):
    ...107 to Hungarian State Railways,
    ...7 to GySEV (sold to MÁV,1988)
    ...10 narrow and 20 normal gauge to Tunisia
    ...11 to Greece

Engine:.............SEMT-Pielstick licence
    ...Type:............12PA4 185 , V12 turbodiesel
    Power: .............1324kWatts ~ 1790HP
    Train Heating:.....250kW , 1500V
    Axle formula:.......B'-B'
    Max. speed:........100km/h = 62mph
    Weight:.............66 metric tonns
    Tractive effort:...200kN

Numbering:
    ..Traditional:.M41-2100 to M41-2214
    ..UIC:.........2241-2100-X to 2214-X

The MÁV use this type, the not electrified mainlines to passenger trains, and commuter trains.
    This loco is able to remote controllig like V43, just it needed Bdt100 series controll car.(From out is looks like the Bdt300,
    just the dashboard difers.)
    Original dashboard ( very puritan ):

(No, it's not a driving wheel )
    The driver can 8 steps controlling the power.

M41-2178 waiting for work at Szerencs station

The M41 isn't powerfull overseas gage, but passanger trains with 5-10 cars aren't challenge.
    In our days MAV has 34 active original M41 locos and 36 remotorized.

Starting the Pielstick engine
    Original M41

The remot series:

In 2002 2 locos rebuilt by new engines.The M41-2190>>M41-2301 with MTU engine and the M41-2207>>M41-2302 with Caterpillar 3512B HD SC engine.
    After the test runs the MÁV choosed the CAT engine,the other 34 rebuilt with this.It's more quiet than original Pielstick engine, and powerfull (1500kW ,2025HP ).
    The driver's get air conditioner,UV Protected windshiels,air suspended seats and a new, ergonomic dashboard.

There is 2 railway junkyard in Hungary, Szombathely(at austrian border) and Sátoraljaújhely(at slovakien border). Early or late every locomotives finished in either.
    The wasted 2101 and the CAT hearted 2303:
    Last edited by bajusz; 04-12-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Hi!

The next is

NOHAB M-61 [ nickname: Nohab ]

diesel-electric locomotive for passenger trains

Built(1962-1964):
    by:Nydqvist och Holm Aktiebolag, Trondheim, Sweden
    ...20 to Hungarian State Railways,
    ...35 to Norway
    ...49 to Belgium
    ..103 to Denmark
    ....4 to Louxembourg

Licence:............GM EMD F series
    Engine:.............GE 16-567D1, 45°angle V16
    Power: .............1435kWatts, 1970HP
    Train Heating:.....Vapor-Clarkson OK4616 steam generator, 800kg/h
    Axle formula:.......Co'-Co'
    Max. speed:........105km/h = 65mph
    Weight:............106 metric tons
    Tractive effort:...130kN

Numbering:
    ..Traditional:.M61-001 to M61-020
    ..UIC:.........2761-0xx-X

In the 50's-60' the MAV used 85% steam power in mainlines.The MAV wanted to modernizating the locomotives.From 17 aspirants just 2 got chance to test runs in Hungary.
    The nohab wins against Krauss-Maffei prototype engine.
    The state railways ordered 20 locomotives.We wanted to order more 30 engines, but the USSR put in (M62 series).
    This trusty locos composed the pith of the pannonian lines.

Before the electrification, the Budapest-Kiiv-Moskow train pulled with M61 from Budapest to Chop(UA).
    When the nohab fisrt time arrived to Chop,the sovjet engineers jumped upon the loco with paper,pen and tape-measure.

Original pintwork:

And dashbord:

When the MAV changed the old passenger cars to new electric heated cars,de enginers created an electric trein heating car to M61 and M62.

In the 90's the MAV some series bumped.Mostly the small pieced series (M61,M40,V42,M63).
    The State railways not supported large recoveries. Some Nohabs checked the ways permanently.
    The M61,004 was killed in a heavy crash on friday the 4th of June afternoon with the train 1999 just after leaving Badacsonylábdihegy. A tree was fallen on the track due to a heavy storm, and the loco-driver (who was luckily only slightly injured) couldn't notice it in time because of the hail and a curve. The loco ran into the tree with a speed around 70 km/h, was dropped into the air (both boogies were ripped from the chassis) and then back on the track with a side down after a 120ş turn.

In 2000 only 4 locos serving on schedule. Theirs last ride was in 21 dec. 2000 from Tapolca engine sheed to Budapest.

Good Bye Nohabs:

In our days 001, 006 and 020 lives in MÁV Railway Museum(both ready for working).The Nohab-GM foudation holds the 010 and 002. They working to remake the original estate.
    The 017 used every week the MAV-PMLI.They renewed the loco.They changed the gear-ratio,the engine able to 140km/h speed.The loco gets electric train heating engine.The 017 serve with an track measure car.

----

M61-019 in Budapest, Souther Station (1994)
    017 with museum train
    Last edited by bajusz; 04-12-2008 at 08:19 AM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bajusz View Post
    There is 2 railway junkyard in Hungary, Szombathely(at austrian border)

Szombathely?.........I've been there......lol

My father was born just down the road in Ivan......

7. Default

Very interesting reading. I enjoyed it. May not have understood a lot of the mechanical specifications, but I did enjoy what I understood. I think I would really like those Nohabs. Thanks for sharing.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Leia View Post
    Very interesting reading. I enjoyed it. May not have understood a lot of the mechanical specifications, but I did enjoy what I understood. I think I would really like those Nohabs. Thanks for sharing.
    Which mechanical specs aren't cleer? I'll try to edit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Halton Hills View Post

Szombathely?.........I've been there......lol

My father was born just down the road in Ivan......

I've never been Szombathely. I live neer to Sátoraljaújhely ( 10 kilometers ), here' s a bigger junkyard .

9. Default

Which mechanical specs aren't clear? I'll try to edit them.
    No! They are clear. It is me.

I am just not very mechanical and not very knowledgeable about the nuts and bolts.

If you said it is a monster engine that can make the ground shake from a mile away, causing small earthquakes near seismic sensors, I wouldn't know it from the mechanical data.

I understand some of it though and I am learning....

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Leia View Post
    No! They are clear. It is me.

I am just not very mechanical and not very knowledgeable about the nuts and bolts.

If you said it is a monster engine that can make the ground shake from a mile away, causing small earthquakes near seismic sensors, I wouldn't know it from the mechanical data.

I understand some of it though and I am learning....
    Hehe
    Here the electric locos are silent and the Nohab too. In the neigborhood the geography favour the diesel engines. In the north side of the track are the Zemplén-mountains, south a river and a big sweeping plan.You can hear the M41's from 10 kilometers!

The first 60 M62 engines came to Hungary without noise supressor.That was an 3-force earthquake at Richter-scale.But its an another writing...soon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast