RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crane Co. Single note whistle (hooter)

Default Crane Co. Single note whistle (hooter)

Hey everyone,
    about a year ago i purchased a whistle on ebay, a Crane Co. Hooter type whistle off a Lake Shore and Michigan Southern RR locomotive back from the late 1800's
    well it had some problems and i got it fixed last month and was finally able to put it atop a locomotive. Got some video of it on the Mt Rainier Scenic Railroads 2-8-2t #17

what do ya think? while i like it, alot of people dont like single note whistles.
    Jason J. Hill
    KD7TQN
    Pacific Northwest Railroads
    Host of the Pacific Northwest Railroads stream network for RailroadRadio.net
    (Seattle Terminal, Puget Sound Shortlines, and Centralia South streams)
    Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad Conductor

It sounds great. I think people don't really like them since they are shrill and single note. They sound great valved down for a ghostly sound near Halloween. Tweetsie uses one during ghost train and it sounds awesome echoing off the mountains at night. Of course the hooters on the engines were responsible for the name Tweetsie, so maybe I'm a little biased.
    Global Admin- JREB.org
    President Alpha Phi Psi- Carolinas Chapter
    My Website

You youngsters haven't been around long enough to appreciate a steam whistle managed by an engineer who could make it sound like the most lonesome thing in the world at night.

They can be haunting, if played properly.
    Norm

Very nice!

Whistles such as those were also known as 'banshee whistles'

Good whistles and horns are unappreciated in this day and age of quiet zones and people who are offended by everything.

i know what you mean. i think the guys at cass do a good job with there whistle style.
    Jason J. Hill
    KD7TQN

The steamer looks to be "steaming" quite a bit.

Is that normal?

April
    Different cake. Just as sweet.

Default Steam

Beautiful whistle. I'll bet it echoed a lot off the distant mountains.

Looks like the normal amount of steam coming out of the right places, for a cold, damp, Washington morning. Reminds me of the morning I sat in the cab of the 5, drinking hot coffee waiting for the steam pressure to rise. Thanks Jason, you've taken much stress out of the day.
    Rick Zorko

"Let me 'splain, No there is too much. Let me sum up."

sounds great on that engine, the echo is awesome

i could listen to the soundtrack of this clip all day, quiet chugging, a nice whistle, great stuff
    "The steam locomotive is a symbol of boyhood to every American man and the symbol of manhood to every American boy." John Lair, The Lynchburg News, 1962

View my RR Videos online
    or
    My photos @ RP.net and RRPictureArchive.net
    Focused on North Carolina Railroading

Quote Originally Posted by Zoohogger View Post
    Beautiful whistle. I'll bet it echoed a lot off the distant mountains.

Looks like the normal amount of steam coming out of the right places, for a cold, damp, Washington morning. Reminds me of the morning I sat in the cab of the 5, drinking hot coffee waiting for the steam pressure to rise. Thanks Jason, you've taken much stress out of the day.
    boy did it ever echo, its going to be on the locomotive for this weekends run.

cant wait to get the 5 running again, it may return if we can fix the boiler issues and get it certified.

Im glad everyone likes it. it wasnt as well recieved by the other volunteers. some dont know how to appreceate the simplicity of a hooter. and some simply just dont like them.
    Jason J. Hill
    KD7TQN

10. Default

And here is a video clip of Flagg Coal 75 I captured while at the Florida Railroad Museum back in February:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast