RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Why post your images online?

Default Why post your images online?

I participate in an e-mail list for railroad related publications etc. As often happens here, the issue of posting your images online came up, and the concerns about copyrights and theft etc were raised.

I replied that while obviously there is a risk of theft for use on other websites, the risk of them being submitted by somebody else and published was very minimal.

Steve Barry, the editor of Railfan and Railroad Magazine, posted a reply. Upon reading it, I asked his permission to post a slightly edited version of his reply here. (The edit involved a mention of a competing website, they're fine but I don't really want to give them a free ad...)

Steve also mentioned that they do surf various websites looking for photos, and surprisingly they are willing to publish photos that have been posted online.

Because a well-looked-at photo may have a couple thousand hits, but we have 40,000 readers. At least
    38,000 of them haven't seen the picture online.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadForums.com Host

Posted on another list by Steve Barry, reproduced with his permission.

Bob opined:

> They aren't stupid enough to believe that an 800 x 600
    > file that runs less than 100k is a hi-res file. Even if you go big,
    > and upload 1600 x 1200, at say 200k or 300k, they still won't
    > fall for it. They simply need much higher resolution for print.
    >
    > It is certainly conceivable that the local model train club or
    > local railfan group might steal a photo and use in the club
    > newsletter, but this risk of seeing any website photos
    > published in any major railfan publication is extremely small.

And I say:

It's simple mathematics. The largest files on most internet sites run 1000 pixels or so
    across. We print at 300 d.p.i. 1000 divided by 300 gives you 3.33 -- that means the
    biggest size we could run an internet-sized JPEG in the magazine is about 3 1/3 inches
    across (yeah, we could up-rez a little, but most internet photos also have some JPEG
    compression applied, and it won't take much up-rezzing to bring out all them
    compression artifacts).

BTW, we now have author/contributor guidelines on our website at www.railfan.com
    (finally!!!).

If you are afraid that someone is going to steal your internet file for a poster or
    centerspread or magazine cover, you're afraid for the wrong reason. I have plenty of large
    files posted on my personal site (www.daylightimages.com) and the risk of someone
    stealing an image to post on another website somewhere else or running (small) in print is
    far outweighed by the revenue it generates -- I've made thousands of dollars working on
    projects where I was approached by folks who saw my work on the website. And posting
    to online galleries is just a form of advertising -- get your name out there, post enough to
    encourage someone to visit your own website (where you do the majority of your posting).

Steve Barry
    Railfan & Railroad
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadForums.com Host