RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G16

1. Default G-16 insearchof.....

Hello All,.....
    Does any of u G-16'ers know of were the two trains went that were at lowery park zoo in fla.?......just down from fla. busch gardens....they had one they used regular......the other sat on sideing in/at train sta. ......I get no co-op from zoo........thanks, rrdrstv.

2. Default

New to the site but not new to G-16. restored one 20 years ago, got it back into the park that it came (and went) from. Recently been helping anpther park with issues with theirs. Have a few questions: Are the axle bearings greasable? What fluid is used in the torque converter? Thanx in advance.

3. Default

WE have a G16 in Goldsboro, NC..having problems with VAC brakes..any info on changing them to another type?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Vernon View Post
    WE have a G16 in Goldsboro, NC..having problems with VAC brakes..any info on changing them to another type?
    Jim,
    What kind of issues are you having? I might be able to offer some guidance/recommendations.
    Ken
    Last edited by Bill Anderson; 05-31-2017 at 01:55 PM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by miltruk View Post
    Jim,
    What kind of issues are you having? I might be able to offer some guidance/recommendations.
    Ken
    Vacuum brakes, replaced hand controller getting vacuum at the gague..when brakes applied nothing happens..have looked at several of the Vac chambers at the wheels..they look ok, they are very hard to remove and remount.

6. Default

The brakes do not activate, we have a good vac reading on the gauge, have adjusted them ,changed hand controller..got about 7 inches of vac reading at end of 1st car..have looked inside several of the vac chambers at the wheels ..looked ok..

7. Default

Jim,
    2 new questions: did the brakes work, at all, before changing the hand controller? What type of controller did you get? I had similar issues with a train I am working on in Miami: they had NO brakes as well. I changed the controller, not with an original but something similar I was lucky enuf to find at a brake shop, NOS but OLD, sitting on a shelf in the back. No help, till I studied the ports: one is vacuum in, one is vacuum out, the other is a vent/relief to release the vacuum when you turn it to "off". Without that port, the vacuum stays on and the brakes won't release.
    I can discuss further after you give me these answers.
    Ken

charles.l.michael26 Guest

I am with a Lions Club in Guymon, Oklahoma. We have been having trouble with our transmission for a while now. Can you give me any information on how you converted to hydolics. I love the idea but have no idea where to start. Charles Michael

9. Default

Charles,
    I have never converted a G-16 to hydraulic drive though from working on smaller scale (1/8) engines, I know that it will not be easy.
    It would entail removing the transmission and installing a hydraulic pump and a fluid reservoir somewhere.
    Also, the trucks will need to be removed and the gearboxes replace with hydraulic motors. The hoses to move the fluid will be the easiest part of the conversion.
    Further, I don't know how to calculate the pump/motors combination.
    It would be a lot of work and a bit of expense.
    How bad is the trans? What grief is it giving?? Might be easier and less expensive to just pull it and rebuild it.
    Any way, you might consider contacting Todd Swan at Swannee River Railroad. He builds G-16 replicas that use hydraulic drives. I know you can buy his trucks with hydraulic motors (which would be easier than replacing the mechanical gearboxes with hydraulic motors) and perhaps he can help you out with the pump. A fluid reservoir would not be that difficult to fabricate or modify something that will fit/work, and hoses can be custom made locally. Then, the only issue would be attaching the pump to the engine.
    Let me know how you make out with this, and good luck.
    Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12