Thread: Snowy Santa Train in Wisconsin

1. Default Snowy Santa Train in Wisconsin

This past weekend the Soo #1003 pulled a Santa Special in what turned out to be a Lake Effect snowstorm. This Santa Train was run from Hartford, WI to Plymouth, WI and return. The #1003 left Hartford on Friday December 14th, unfortunately there departure was almost 4 hours late. Then other complications including crews dying delayed there arrival into Plymouth until almost midnight.

Just a note a steam locomotive had not run to Plymouth for over 50 years. The #1003 ran on former Milwaukee Road tracks, now CN and Wisconsin Southern trackage.

On Saturday most of Plymouth and the surrounding area were at the depot for the Santa Train. The #1003 only left about 1/2 hour, but they backed up the train for a farewell run-by in the snow. As the train headed south the snow intensified and at times it was tough to see the black locomotive in the snow. Below are some pictures from the weekend.

Shot #1 - Friday 12-14-2007 stopped at Random Lake, WI #1003 is being pulled northbound by WSOR diesel. However WSOR crew died. Its about 8pm and temp is about 18.
    Shot #2 - Crowds at the depot in Plymouth.
    Shot #3 - Light snow, temps around 20 and steam make interesting sights, including ice on the side rod.
    Shot #4 - #1003 in the light snow heads south for the farewell run-by at Plymouth, WI.

Keith Schmidt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	84787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	84788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	84789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	84790  

Keith Schmidt
    KC9LHK
    Flickr Train Photo Page
    "You donít bring nothin with you here and you canít nothin back, I ainít never seen a hearse with a luggage rack. George Strait
    The Powerton Report Southeast Wisconsin Rail Action
    Check out more Photos
    Steam Trains and Tractors

2. Default

More Shots from Saturday December 15, 2007

Shot #1 - Departing Plymouth on tracks that rarely see trains, much less a steam train
    Shot #2 and #3 In a bit heavier snow at Hwy U the #1003 heads south at 10mph.

Keith

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	84791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	84792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	84793  
    Keith Schmidt
    KC9LHK
    Flickr Train Photo Page
    "You donít bring nothin with you here and you canít nothin back, I ainít never seen a hearse with a luggage rack. George Strait
    Check out more Photos

3. Default

Final set of shots form Saturday December 15, 2007

Shots #1 and #2 #1003 southbound in a full blown Lake Effect snow squall at Hwy W north of Adell, WI

Shot #3 and #4 Still snowing #1003 eases along at Abbott Drive north of Random Lake, WI

It was another long day for the #1003 and crew in the snow. But a great chance to see steam in the winter. BIG THANKS to the #1003 crew and owners, plus to the people and sponsors in Plymouth, WI.

Keith Schmidt

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	84798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	84799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	84800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	84801  

Keith Schmidt
    KC9LHK
    Flickr Train Photo Page
    Check out more Photos

4. Default

WOW! Beautiful stuff, worth it to brave the cold when the results are that great! I love the night shot and the ice on the side-rods.
    "The steam locomotive is a symbol of boyhood to every American man and the symbol of manhood to every American boy." John Lair, The Lynchburg News, 1962

View my RR Videos online
    or
    My photos @ RP.net and RRPictureArchive.net
    Focused on North Carolina Railroading

5. Default

Of the last four shots, 1, 2 & 4 would make very nice Christmas cards.
    Jeff Shultz
    Willamette & Pacific - Oregon Electric Branch
    My Railroad and model railroad photos

6. Default

Thanks for the nice comments. It was a great weekend of steam in the snow. Yes, I agree about the Christmas card shots. I think I got enough for a couple years last weekend. A bit to late for this year.

Keith
    Keith Schmidt
    KC9LHK
    Flickr Train Photo Page
    Check out more Photos