Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying retired/old train cars (questions)

1. Default Buying retired/old train cars (questions)

Hi,
    I don't know much about old rail cars. I'm curious about what goes into buying them though (the real thing, not models).

Is there a central listing where people and companies list them?
    What are some other good places to look?

Thanks
    Carrick

2. Default

There is a lot more that goes into buying old rolling stock to consider beyond the purchase price. Many older cars can not or will not be shipped on thier own wheels depending on their destination. If the car has plane friction bearings the Class 1s won't usually touch them, a friendly short line may be your best bet. If you can't ship the car by rail tucking can be a lot of fun. Something like a flat car is relativly easy, add height like a box car or caboose and the price rises considerably.

I don't want to scare you away, but it isn't always as easy as you'd like.
    Good luck.
    Aaron Zorko
    N0XCJ
    Oregon Coast Scenic RR

3. Default

anymore by the time any RR decides to get rid of cars most are ready for the torch of the scrappers.
    If it rolls I run to see it

4. Default

Right before I started volunteering on the Yuma Valley Railway in 1992, they managed to find a 45 ton center cab switcher that Union Tank Car company was selling in Philadelphia. The engine had roller bearings. They bought it for $10k, and Conrail graciously hauled it to St. Louis for free, right in the engine consist of the train, but not being used for power, just in tow. SP wasn't so generous. They insisted it be hauled on a depressed center flat car, from St. Louis to Yuma, and charged $5k shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by shay2305 View Post
    There is a lot more that goes into buying old rolling stock to consider beyond the purchase price. Many older cars can not or will not be shipped on thier own wheels depending on their destination. If the car has plane friction bearings the Class 1s won't usually touch them, a friendly short line may be your best bet. If you can't ship the car by rail tucking can be a lot of fun. Something like a flat car is relativly easy, add height like a box car or caboose and the price rises considerably.
    You should also look at where you would plan to place the car and the roads leading up to that location, and check with a local trucking firm on if it can be moved there. I know of two guys in Florida who each bought a caboose, but later found that the roads going out to their land wouldn't support the weight of the trucks to haul them to their end destinations. Both wound up selling their prizes to people closer to active rail.
    Lee Bishop

6. Default car for sale

I am trying to sale a passenger/bunk car. It has no axels but, I have a source to move it, if someone buys it. The car is approx 65' long has 5 walk thru doors, the interior needs a little work but is still in pretty good shape all in all. I am not sure of the value but I will take offers and I can send pics if interested. Thx

7. Default Aquiring a passenger car

From my own research and other info I've seen, you can count on spending up to $1 million to get a passenger car in shape for Amtrak-compatible service, including purchase price. Depending on the condition of the car in the first place. In that cost estimate, I'm including interior restoration as well as converting to 440 vt, etc., and if they're not already roller bearing trucks, figure a little upward of that. If the car is in good shape already, then figure downward from $1 mil. But it's not cheap!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by no brainer View Post
    anymore by the time any RR decides to get rid of cars most are ready for the torch of the scrappers.
    And scrapping they are, due to the rising price of scrap metal: http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_n...rticleID=52403

9. Default

We are a non profit and lol we are not looking to sink 1 million but are looking at raising the funds for about 20 thousand to buy and ship I am assuming that if I am in Texas and want to ship a car say from north texas to Dallas or a nearbuy city then the 5 thousand may be possible for transfer? Again we are looking for cars that are in fair shape but probably not in good shape that can be used as buildings of a sort. Any ideas of contacts in which we could start the process or locatiosn that we should look to while we attempt to raise the funds? We are looking for a passenger car for starters, a caboose later and finally an engine that does not need to run but not all at the same time just a single car for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast