Thread: When did the Bettendorf truck get phased out of service ?

Default When did the Bettendorf truck get phased out of service ?

I need a timeline as to when the Bettendorf freight truck (arched top) was phased out of interchange service. When was the friction bearing truck phased out of interchange?

Thanks
    KevO

I can't give you an exact date, but they stopped using them in the 60's.

Actually, the railroads and car builders stopped applying them to new cars in the 1960s; they were still in interchange through the mid-70s and were phased out as cars were either scrapped or shopped and equipped with roller bearing trucks (some railroads installed roller bearings inside the existing journal boxes, and trucks so modified usually had the journal covers removed; these were outlawed as of 1995 because hotbox detectors couldn't "see" if the bearings had overheated.)

Friction bearing trucks in general were banned from interchange service in 1991 from cars used for hazmat service; this was extended to all other cars equipped with friction bearings beginning in 1994 (some railroads and private owners had "hardship" exemptions which allowed them to keep their cars in service for a little while after the above dates).

A few railroads and private owners still had cars with friction bearing trucks in non-interchange revenue service after that (such as SP's sugar beet gons, although these were no longer owned by SP by then, IIRC; I think these also fell under one of the "hardship" exemptions, as I remember these cars had operated on both SP and California Northern rails and were out of service by 1998), but these were probably all phased out of service by 2000.
    Last edited by NM_RailNut; 10-15-2007 at 08:15 AM.
    Michael Swanson

Getting sick and tired of all the grasshoppers...

...and still working on ATSF 2926: New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society (NMSL&RHS)

4. Default

I know of one major northeast class-1 that has MOW cars with friction bearings. I should know as I had to kick one out of my key train...
    gp80mac

I'm the musketeer that pushes buttons!

So is it plausible to see a bettendorf truck on a , say, bulkhead flat car in the early/mid 80's ?

Thanks for teh responses.
    KevO

Quote Originally Posted by KevO View Post
    So is it plausible to see a bettendorf truck on a , say, bulkhead flat car in the early/mid 80's ?

Thanks for teh responses.
    It depends on who owned it and what it hauled, but it's a possibility.
    Michael Swanson

Getting sick and tired of all the grasshoppers...

...and still working on ATSF 2926: New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society (NMSL&RHS)