Thread: Bombardier/MLW DL535E

1. Default Bombardier/MLW DL535E 3' gauge Diesel locomotive

I learned all that I could about this locomotive last week. Its trucks are actually the same as those used on the larger C-C locos of the same vintage from (BDD). The trucks are DOFASCO model 5650 with a three shear-pad bolster, I’m told the newer versions have a 4 shear-pad bolster. There were a light and heavy version of this truck, this was the light and this also had the external brake cylinders. The WB of 11' 2" and axle spacing are also identical to the larger locomotives trucks. It seem that the way DOFASCO modified the basic 5650 trucks to achieve a 3' gauge was by modifying the assembly of the casting mould sections for the trucks by placing the outer portions of the tricks or the "side frames" closer together just prior to casting the trucks. They then created a bolster with the same less width, all else is identical to standard gauge version of this truck.

Started by MLW-Worthington after ALCO closed in 1969, its now referred to as a Bombardier (BBD), it could be called an RSD-35 W by BBD, (but I'm not so sure).
    Built in 7/1982 or 9/1982, as White Pass & Yukon # 111-114. Stored in Montreal QC, from 1982 until 1991 for the #112, 113. The #114 went to WP&Y in 1995. The #111 went to USG to replace #113, which was crushed under a gypsum loader.
    Serial number for WP&Y #114 is; M6123-04
    Bombardier reference number - 986 N 99421
    Bombardier Sales Order Number - White Pass & Yukon S.O. 4745

Specifications;
    Wheel arrangement 6-axle C-C
    Cab, "Canadian safety cab"
    Width, 10’
    Height at Cab, 15’ 2”
    Length, 53' 5.5"
    Fuel capacity, 1000 gallons diesel
    Prime mover, Alco 251D 6-cylinder turbo diesel with GGTA19PB1 generator.
    Power rating, 1200 chp, 1550 hp max
    Trucks; DOFASCO 5650 3' gauge trucks with 11' 2" wheel base
    Drive Wheels, 36” dia.
    Traction motors, 6 General Electric 764PC2
    Tractive effort, (maximum/continuous) 64,200/43,200 lbs
    Total weight, 103 t

If any one has any good tech info or photos on this loco, its trucks, the standard gauge version of these trucks, etc. please add them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img481220060613[1]_edited.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	74209  
    Last edited by loco112; 05-08-2007 at 12:48 PM. Reason: needed to put "3' gauge" in the title

2. Default

Can't help you too much but these locomotives are the final variant to an original Alco, then MLW and finally Bombardier design. The model is an RSD-35
    but the railfan community added a (W) to denote the Canadian or Comfort cab. For roster information and some photos try the following:
    http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/WPY.html
    http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel103.html

3. Default 3/4 sharon Couplers

If any of you have seen the cover of the 1991 issue of "Railroad and Railfan" that had the new to USG DL535E locos on the cover, if you look closely you can see the difference in the couplers on the two locos, and you can see that somehow they (USG or the delivery process) had already broken the "guard arm" off of the 3/4 sized Sharon coupler that was on the #112 as ordered for the WP&Y, something I have never seen.

Broken knuckles, shanks, and pins I have seen, a broken guard arm, never. Wonder how they managed to do that?

Loco112

4. Default DOFASCO 5650 Trucks for meter gauge

Hey all you Narrow Gauge diesel nuts, this is a photo showing a meter gauged DOFASCO 5650 truck.

This is the same truck used on the DL535E, also known as the WP&Y #111-114 series, but this one has a few options that were changed from the WP&Y models we are interested in. This is actually a meter gauge (39.4” gauge) version shown with 40" wheels. The WP&Y used 36" dia. wheels, and the bolster shown is a four sheer-pad bolster arrangement, where the WP&Y locos actually used a three sheer-pad bolster arrangement.

Notice the four rubber & sheet steel sandwiches sitting on the top of the truck, those are the four sheer pads that the bolster sits on. The bolster (not shown) has a tapered hole in it that accepts a big pin that is mounted into the locomotives frame and hangs down underneath the frame to engage the bolster. Notice the shock absorbers (known as dampers to some) that are mount on the truck to control the bolsters movements and absorb the shocks from the sheer pads to keep all the bolster motion slow & controlled. Too bad I don’t have a photo of the bolster also!

This truck also has two brake cylinders per side, where the WP&Y used three per side. The three per side is simpler and more redundant in case of a failure. On the two per side arrangement, one cylinder brakes one axle and the other cylinder brakes two axles at once. If the brake cylinder that is doing double-duty on the two axles decides to fail, you would loose one side of braking on two axles and you might be in trouble if that happened on the track down from White Pass, and you just might end up in the Skagway harbor, but wait we have dynamic brakes!

This is the first photo I have ever seen of this truck, and I think its the first time I have ever really gotten a good look at this truck, as every photo of the DL535E's show the truck in the dark shadow of the locomotive overhang, so these are really new to me. These trucks look like very efficient and clean designs, and very much like miniature GM Electromotive HT-C trucks.

I read that the WP&Y crew hated the older ALCO trucks because they destroyed the track with tight curvature and thus they were not used from Skagway up to the White Pass summit. The old ALCO trucks had a wheelbase of 11’ even, where these 5650 trucks have an 11’+ 2” wheelbase, so if these are any easier on the track its not because of the wheelbase that’s for sure.

Has anyone heard if the track workers liked this locomotive any better? Probably not after the big wreck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOFASCO 5650 meter 40 in wheels, (small, NGS) copy.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	74851  

5. Default bolsterless truck discussion

further bolsterless truck discussion and info on this 5650 truck (above) specifically is at;

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/...ad.php?t=18412

6. Default "Solid Model file" or photo, you be the judge???

FYI, the thumbnail attacehd to the previous email is realy a .jpg photo of a "solid model file".

Does that mean anything to any of you wanting to build this locomotive?