Railroads: CSX, NS, CFE, I&O, Rj Corman, Wheeling Lake Erie, Railserve

Radio:
    CSX: 160.230 road, 160.290 Dispatcher
    CFE: 161.070
    I&O: 161.220
    NS: 161.250

Description:
    CSX main line runs north/south
    I&O also a North south line shares tracks with CSX north of Lima to Leipsic.
    CFE east/west crosses CSX at NS tower and I&O a mile later at Sugar St.
    NS comes in from the Northeast and shares track through town with CSX until Erie Junction where NS access their South Lima yard.
    Rj Corman Runs Southwest out of South Lima yd and also west on the old Erie main line.

Lima has historically been a big railroad town. In the past Pennsylvania's double track Chicago mainline, Nickel Plate, B&O, Erie Lackawanna double track Chicago mainline , Detroit Toledo and Ironton all had busy mainlines though town. Also Lima Locomotive Works was located on the south side of town.

The railroad scene nowadays isn't what it use to be but can still be very busy at times. Here are present day operations in the City of Lima:

The Pennsy is now RailAmerica owned Chicago Ft. Wayne and Eastern running east west between Chicago and Crestline, Ohio. Operations in Lima include Cole St. Yard west side of town on SR309. A bridge with sidewalk near east end of yard gives good view of yard. One train each way between Lima and Ft Wayne, IN operations east of Lima as needed. Local service to P&G plant east of Lima and a yard transfer run to the I&O RR using the Sugar St Connection at I&O/CFE diamonds. Wheeling Lake Erie comes into Lima once a week with trackage rights on CFE to access the I&O.

DTI is now RailAmerica owned Indiana & Ohio Railway and has a yard on the north side of Lima next to the Ford engine plant. Sugar St. parallels yard making viewing easy. One mainline train in each direction plus grain extras during harvest season. Keep a look out for an virtually Unpatched Southern Pacific Tunnel motor and Two Susey Q SD70s.

Erie Lackawanna is abandoned east of town and operated by Rj Corman west to Elgin, Ohio. Not much on this line most of the year with the exception of 50 car unit grain trains during harvest season.

The Nickle Plate became the Norfolk Western then NS before the line southwest of Lima was sold to Rj Corman. Rj Corman based in Celina,Ohio runs to Lima 5 sometimes 6 days a week to NS's South Lima yard (sight of Lima Loco works and a large oil refinery). A though truss bridge passes over the yard allowing excellent view of refinery and south Lima yard. (Note. South Lima has a elevated crime rate. I have never had a problem but be careful)
    NS serves Lima using the ex Nickel Plate main running northeast out of Lima. A local out of Fostoria come in town in the late evening and leaves late at night/early morning. NS does good business with Rj Corman and the refinery. Also look out for Army Tanks coming and going form the Lima Tank Plant were M1A1 Abrams tank are built and serviced. NS has a Local based in South Lima yard that uses a high nose SD40 that runs transfers to I&O in the afternoon. Also found in the yard is Railserve. This is a switching company that works the refinery.

The big show in town is CSX's Toledo Sub with 30 to 40 Mainline trains in a 24 hour period. CSX's yard is located on the north side of town. Locals run north and south of town using SD40 and GP30 slugs for power. Y101 is the CSX/CFE yard transfer runs in the afternoon. I have seen this train be as long as 80 cars.

NS tower in downtown Lima is the place to go to see trains in Lima. CSX and NS share double track north/south with the CFE crossing in a East/West direction with a connection on the Northwest corner. Just north of the diamonds is a crossover and the NS line diverges onto their own tracks. CSX controls the junction and NS and CFE call the dispatcher to get permission cross. Ex. PPR Station in Lima was be converted to city offices and looks great. North of NS tower some old railroad buildings give the area a historic feeling.
    Lima is a signal lovers location: B&O CPL's sand alongside newer signals guarding the Diamonds. Conrail triangle configured lights also guard the diamonds for CFE at both NS tower and Sugar St. Junction. A few hundred yards north of the diamonds stand some Nickel Plate signals. Over at CFE's Cole St. yard a new style CPL guards eastbound movements out of the yard.

In Lincoln Park next to the I&O mainline is the NKP 779 sister to the NKP 765 the last steam locomotive produced by Lima Locomotive Works.

Also of note excursions were planned out of Lima on the I&O with the NKP 765 however the Sugar St. Connection was two sharp for the locomotive to negotiate and a deal could not be worked out in time or the Locomotive to use CSX connection and main line to access I&O north of Lima. Perhaps 2007 will be a year for 765 to return to it birth place in Lima.
    Siderodromophobia
    KD8CJL

Finally made it up to Lima and took some shots.
    1. Southbound CSX autorack train at NS Tower seconds from crossing the CFE main.
    2. CSX southbound passing through NS Tower. Old B&O CPLs stand next to more modern signals.
    3. Wheeling and Lake Erie trackage rights train on the CFE east of Lima.
    Siderodromophobia
    KD8CJL

thats my hometown, howeld. i have a pal that usually foams there at flanders ave. he stated to me last night the 500 was through lima heading northbound.
    maersksealand3329
    Ps hes the one in the grey sable with the opl bumper sticker

Walk a .1 a mile in my shoes; see what I see, hear what I hear, feel what I feel, then maybe you will understand why I am the way I am!
    Railroadforms.com member since July 2002
    Photography student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!
    Nikon D3000 D-SLR w/18-55mm and 55-200mm VR lenses

Quote Originally Posted by maersksealand3329 View Post
    thats my hometown, howeld. i have a pal that usually foams there at flanders ave. he stated to me last night the 500 was through lima heading northbound.
    maersksealand3329
    Ps hes the one in the grey sable with the opl bumper sticker
    I was at school last night and heard the Dispatcher talking to 500. Can't say I've seen your friend but I'll start looking.
    Howeld
    Siderodromophobia
    KD8CJL