Thread: What does "Primary Recall" mean???

1. Question What does "Primary Recall" mean???

I was looking at a job on the BNSF and at the location I was looking at it says "Primary Recall," does anyone know what this means???

2. Default

It means u will work out of that yard for 5 years or untill BNSF hires more people there.
    My Youtube Channel
    www.youtube.com/BNSF650

Quote Originally Posted by switchmen84 View Post
    I was looking at a job on the BNSF and at the location I was looking at it says "Primary Recall," does anyone know what this means???
    Primary recall means that if you take engineer's training, you will train in a certain terminal for instance Interbay. After you complete your training, you can relocate to any place that you can hold in your seniority district like Pasco or Vancouver. If there is a need for engineers in the original terminal that you trained in, the carrier can force you back to that terminal at any time within the first 3 years after you complete your training. It's all on your dime, also.
    Blowing the whistle at a crossing near you (especially at 3 am :).

Quote Originally Posted by PNWhogger View Post
    Primary recall means that if you take engineer's training, you will train in a certain terminal for instance Interbay. After you complete your training, you can relocate to any place that you can hold in your seniority district like Pasco or Vancouver. If there is a need for engineers in the original terminal that you trained in, the carrier can force you back to that terminal at any time within the first 3 years after you complete your training. It's all on your dime, also.
    I was under the impression some of the Conductor Trainee's being hired in the Southwest and Midwest were being hired as primary recall employee's also. Same scenrio, they'll let you go work wherever that system seniority let's em find work, but they can be called back to the terminal they were hired in. Haven't seen it lately, but it was up there on the careers page a few times about a year or so ago.
    It's about people: They come to work around the clock every day of the year. In freezing storms, track twisting heat and back again. They are here to keep this railroad running. We call these people: Rails

There are primary recalls on job listings in Socal.
    I'm a man, I can change, If I have to, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by switchmen84 View Post
    Primary Recall works like this on the former Santa Fe. You hire out at a specific terminal and train there, that becomes your primary recall location. Then things get tight or you chase work to another terminal, move your family, establish residence, etc. to another terminal. Then the terminal you hire out at gets short employees, then you are recalled to that location. You are usually given 36 hours to mark up at the PR location and you must find your own way back, and lodging. This is for the first 5 years of your service. And as a trainmen. If you get your engineer card at the place you have moved to then you work there as an engineer, but if at anytime you “flow back” to the ground and the PR location is short then you are off to your PR location.

This is one the biggest problems with system wide seniority, and allowing people bid/bump to other terminals.

This is pretty much the same way for the BLET (Engineers), but for only 3 years, and there is some other things taken in effect, such as distance you are away from the PR location and your seniority.

Here in Temple we had all the recalls back this summer, and they were not happy at all. Most pulled up stakes here and moved to where the jobs are better (read more money), then get recalled back here where they have to find their own lodging, transportation to and from, etc. Just this month they have been released, but are still subject to recall.

Tex-Hogger
    There aint much a 90 lb brake pipe reduction can't stop!!