RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: East Lansing, Michigan

1. Default East Lansing, Michigan

Name: East Lansing, Michigan ( Trowbridge Junction )

Railroads: CN, CSXT, CP, & Amtrak

Approximate Daily Train Frequency: CSXT: 20 or more trains per day including about 10 CP trains; CN: 40 or more trains per day including 2 Amtrak

Radio Frequencies: CSXT: 160.230, AAR 08, 160.320, AAR 14; CN: 160.590, AAR 32, 160.530, AAR 28, 160.845, AAR 49

Remarks: Busy crossing of 2 mainlines in an urban setting but with rural looking photo backdrops, adjacent to an Amtrak depot & close to Michigan State University

References: September 1993 Trains Hot Spots Article

Photo #1. CN Westbound Vehicle Train at East Lansing, Michigan

Photo #2. CN Eastbound Doublestack Train at East Lansing, Michigan

Photo #3. CN Eastbound Local Freight Train at East Lansing, Michigan

Photo #4. GT&W Eastbound Intermodal Train at East Lansing, Michigan

Sadly, the CSX frequency is down to 4 daily trains, plus if theres any coal.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by beal99
    Sadly, the CSX frequency is down to 4 daily trains, plus if theres any coal.
    Thanks for the update beal99

Nice pics William! Got one question for u. The lot by the diamond, can you still go there to watch trains?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1225fan
    Nice pics William! Got one question for u. The lot by the diamond, can you still go there to watch trains?
    Thanks 1225fan, No, you cannot railfan at the diamond without risking a warning or worse from the CN police. I tried that back in August of 1999, which was my last visit to East Lansing, Mi. & the CN police told me to stay away from the diamond area due to it being railroad property & he said that there have been trains that have hit pedestrians in that area, so he told me to move to the Amtrak Station, which is agrivating, if you don't know what railroad is running a train 1st. You can run between the Amtrak Station & the CSXT/CP, but that gets old after a while, but if you listen to the scanner that might help you with what railroad will come 1st across the diamond so you can get set up in time. I basically stayed on CN, since they run far more trains than CSXT/CP. The only reason I risked going to the diamond area is that I'm a engineer with CSXT & have a railroad ID even though it's not with CN, usually when you're a railroad employee the railroad police are more tolerant & will not arrest you or impound your vehicle, they just warn you & tell you to leave. I would suggest if you did go to the diamond do it quickly, for instance park near the diamond on public property, if you can & when the train comes then get out for your shot & the moment the train goes by quickly go back to sitting on public property.

Quote Originally Posted by William H. Davis Jr. View Post
    Thanks 1225fan, No, you cannot railfan at the diamond without risking a warning or worse from the CN police.
    The situation has relaxed somewhat. If you park well back from the track there isn't much trouble. However if you get near the track you'll likely be visited by the East Lansing Police who won't be rail fan friendly when they arrive.