RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Manchester, Georgia

1. Default Manchester, Georgia

Site: Manchester, Georgia

Nearest City: Columbus, Georgia 32 miles southwest

Popular Name: Magic City, due to the city seeming to appear overnight due to railroad construction

Directions: From Columbus drive 32 miles northeast on State Highways 27A & 85. From Atlanta drive 60 miles due south on State Highway 85

Description: Town was established in 1908 when 2 lines of the Atlanta Birmingham & Atlantic met at this point. AB&A became Atlantic Birmingham & Coast in 1926 & Atlantic Coast Line in 1945, which is now operated by CSXT. CSXT line from Jacksonville, Fl. via Waycross, Ga. to Atlanta meets the mainline to Birmingham, Al. at Manchester.

Type of Operation: Division point on major CSXT mainline North-South freight line between Florida points, Birmingham, & Atlanta. Container, intermodal, vehicle, coal, grain & other unit trains, & general merchandise can be seen through Manchester

Typical Motive Power: Anything on CSXT'S roster can be seen with plenty of foreign & lease power as well.

Peak Operating Hours: Wednesday through Friday. Early mornings until noon, afternoons after 14:00

Approximate Daily Train Frequency: 20 or more trains in each direction on the Manchester Sub to Atlanta & 15 trains on the Lineville Sub to Birmingham.

Radio Frequecies: 160.590, AAR 32

Nearby Points of Interest: An observation platform for photographers has been erected near the intersection of where CSXT'S Lineville Sub from Birmingham meets CSXT'S Manchester Sub from Atlanta. The town celebrates Railroad Days each October. Street intersection pavements are painted with RR Xing. Franklin D Roosevelt's Winter White House is at Warm Springs 5 miles northwest.

Remarks: A paved parking lot adjoins the photographer/visitor observation platform. There are several small restaurants in town. Motels are in Columbus 32 miles away. Railfans are welcome in this small town with a rail heritage

Safety Considerations: There are good photography spots on public streets & roads

Photo #1. CSXT Southbound Freight Train coming off the Lineville Sub from Birmingham heading toward Waycross after a crew change at Manchester

Photo #2. CSXT Northbound Freight Train awaiting a fresh crew at Manchester

Photo #3. CSXT Northbound Local Freight Train awaiting a fresh crew at Manchester

Photo #4. CSXT Northbound Freight Train departing Manchester for Birmingham & points north

Shot #3, AWESOME!!!! Love the Chessie and FLS together!!!! OH, The memories!!!!
    ROCK GP38-2 #4329 RULES!!!!!!!!!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK4329
    Shot #3, AWESOME!!!! Love the Chessie and FLS together!!!! OH, The memories!!!!
    Thanks ROCK4329, I wish I had started filming alot earlier than 1989, like say starting in the 1st generation diesel era, but unfortunately I was born in 1969 & never even had my own camera until 1989. I wish I had thought of taking photos of trains while I was a youngster growing up by an old L&N branch line in Canton, Ga. It never even entered into thought to photograph trains until about 1989 when I bought my 1st Trains Magazine. When I was young all I cared about was watching the trains go by, waving, & getting the engineer to blow the horn. Luckily, I had a chance to get a cab ride around 1982 on an L&N GP38-2 with a 3 chime leslie airhorn from downtown Canton to my home in south Canton about 8 miles, which led to getting several more cab rides over the years & even getting to run the trains with the engineer telling me what to do, of course with me being young. I was lucky enough to get to know the guys that worked that branch line. It was usually the same guys over & over again. Sometimes they would give away old rule books, caps, lanterns, switch locks, fusees, roster books, etc. Even candy, chewing gum, & fruit were thrown to us as the trains went by. I wish I had asked for a camera for my birthday or christmas, but I always asked for train sets, if I had asked for a camera I would have some great old L&N shots. I did get a cheap disk camera in the mid 80's, which took sorry photos. My dad took a few decent black & white shots in the 70's & a few shots with another camera that came out good. I started my railroad photography in 1989 when I bought my 1st good camera, which was a Minolta Maxxum 3000I that took great photos. I now use a Nikon N60 film camera. I have yet to update to a digital camera, which is what I want, but the camera I want to get costs between $3,000 to $8,000. I do have a digital video camera Sony HI 8 Digital 8 for videography.

9 miles from the CN Grenada Sub. Coldwater, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by William H. Davis Jr. View Post
    Thanks ROCK4329, I wish I had started filming alot earlier than 1989, like say starting in the 1st generation diesel era, but unfortunately I was born in 1969 & never even had my own camera until 1989. I wish I had thought of taking photos of trains while I was a youngster growing up by an old L&N branch line in Canton, Ga. It never even entered into thought to photograph trains until about 1989 when I bought my 1st Trains Magazine. When I was young all I cared about was watching the trains go by, waving, & getting the engineer to blow the horn. Luckily, I had a chance to get a cab ride around 1982 on an L&N GP38-2 with a 3 chime leslie airhorn from downtown Canton to my home in south Canton about 8 miles, which led to getting several more cab rides over the years & even getting to run the trains with the engineer telling me what to do, of course with me being young. I was lucky enough to get to know the guys that worked that branch line. It was usually the same guys over & over again. Sometimes they would give away old rule books, caps, lanterns, switch locks, fusees, roster books, etc. Even candy, chewing gum, & fruit were thrown to us as the trains went by. I wish I had asked for a camera for my birthday or christmas, but I always asked for train sets, if I had asked for a camera I would have some great old L&N shots. I did get a cheap disk camera in the mid 80's, which took sorry photos. My dad took a few decent black & white shots in the 70's & a few shots with another camera that came out good. I started my railroad photography in 1989 when I bought my 1st good camera, which was a Minolta Maxxum 3000I that took great photos. I now use a Nikon N60 film camera. I have yet to update to a digital camera, which is what I want, but the camera I want to get costs between $3,000 to $8,000. I do have a digital video camera Sony HI 8 Digital 8 for videography.

I would go for the Nikon D40 Digital Camera. They costs about $500.00 dollars. I'm actually planning to get one of those.

Incidentally I used to live next the IC's Grenada Sub in Memphis before 1994 when they had a lot a traffic. I wished I had a camera back then.

Here's a map of the Former ABC line
    The Class 1 Underdog - Kansas City Southern.

My RailroadForums Gallery

My Railimages Gallery

5. Default Manchester

My grandfather was an engineer in Manchester for many years... I have fond memories of that town,

Nice shots.

Look at that UP power up front!

Nice!!!