RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Berea, Ohio

1. Default Berea, Ohio

Site: Berea, Ohio

Nearest City: Cleveland, Ohio 12 miles northeast

Popular Name: Berea or Berea Tower

Directions: From downtown Cleveland take I-71 or I-480 about 12 miles southwest to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. From here take the Berea Freeway Ohio 237, which becomes North Rocky River & turn onto Front Street. The railroad tracks run parallel to Depot Street.

Description: The Berea Interlocking is of New York Central heritage & was the center of the Conrail X, with lines converging from Chicago, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, & Indianapolis/Columbus. Conrail's busiest line was between Berea & Elkhart, In. Now split between NS & CSXT the lines through Berea are the primary traffic arteries of both railroads between the northeast & the midwest.

Type of Operation: CTC-controlled double track mainlines on both railroads. Connecting tracks are still in operation, though seldom used. Heavy mainline traffic including Amtrak, manifest freights, coal & grain trains, vehicle trains, & roadrailers on NS. Intermodal traffic is heavy on both railroads.

Typical Motive Power: Anything on CSXT & NS'S roster can be seen, with alot of foreign & lease power. Conrail power can still be seen with NS having more Conrail painted locomotives left than CSXT. New locomotives being delivered from GE'S plant in Erie, Pa. will pass through on occasion.

Peak Operating Hours: Spread evenly throughout the day.

Approximate Daily Train Frequency: For each railroad: about 55 freight trains a day; also 8 daily Amtrak trains, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Pennsylvanian, Skyline Connection

Radio Frequencies: CSXT: 160.860, AAR 50, 160.800, AAR 46; NS: 161.070, AAR 64, 160.980, AAR 58.

Nearby Points of Interest: Greenwich, Ohio on US 224 about 50 miles southwest on CSXT is a major crossing of 2 CSXT mainlines & also has a Wheeling & Lake Erie line. Vermilion, Ohio on Lake Erie about 30 miles west on NS is an over & under crossing of 2 NS mainlines; It's also a site of the Great Lakes Historical Society Museum. Alliance about 55 miles southeast on NS is a major junction of 2 NS mainlines.

Remarks: This is a suburban commercial/residential neighborhood. No parking is allowed on Depot Street. Some property owners allow railfans to park on their property, but may restrict this to after business hours or weekends only. Food is available at the Pufferbelly, a restaurant in the former Big Four station at Depot & Front Streets. Many restaurants are on Front Street & nearby Bagley Rd. Lodging is available near Hopkins Airport & at the I-77 & Bagley Rd. interchange. A Regional Transit Authority bus route runs on Depot Street.

Safety Considerations: Trains generally can be viewed only from the south side of the tracks. The north side is a residential neighborhood with backyards fronting the NS tracks. Some CSXT trains come through at high speeds

References: Cleveland: Center of Controversy, Cleveland railroad map & description of how NS & CSXT planned to operate their respective Conrail Lines, July 1998 Trains, Berea Tower: Conrail's Middleman, October 1996 Trains & 2nd trick at BE Tower, October 1957 Trains

Photo #1. CR Eastbound Intermodal Train at Berea, Ohio

Photo #2. CR Eastbound Intermodal Train at Berea, Ohio

Photo #3. CR Eastbound Vehicle Train at Berea, Ohio

Photo #4. CR Westbound Freight Train at Berea, Ohio

Thumbs up

Wow, how handy is this. I should be in Berea for my first trip there next Saturday, May 20th.
    Visit, Jeff's Train Site, your one-stop shop for locomotive and rolling stock pictures, railfan information, links, and more.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fulltritty
    Wow, how handy is this. I should be in Berea for my first trip there next Saturday, May 20th.
    Thanks fulltritty, Happy railfanning when you go. I know you'll see alot of trains there. Maybe you'll get lucky & see plenty of power still left in Conrail paint, not to mention alot of foreign/lease power.

OK, today was my first of two full days in Berea. I saw 60 trains in 13 hours with varied power including CSX, NS, NS(CR), CN, WC, BNSF, UP, WLE, CRIX, RLCX, and HLCX. NS 10E even supplied 10 locomotives of its own. Berea is definitly a nice place to railfan and there are a lot of friendly folks out here.
    Visit, Jeff's Train Site, your one-stop shop for locomotive and rolling stock pictures, railfan information, links, and more.

Looking forward to a FULL report when you get done.
    Wow that could take forever if I do it with all of the locomotive pictures like I usually do the one for St. Denis when I go railfanning there.

Second day in Berea and saw 54 trains. A lot more UP and BNSF through town today. So far I have taken 467 pictures and 4 hours of video. I can't wait ti get home and copyright all of those. Now on to Bellevue, Williard, and wherever else I can hit on the way to Fostoria.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fulltritty View Post
    OK, today was my first of two full days in Berea. I saw 60 trains in 13 hours with varied power including CSX, NS, NS(CR), CN, WC, BNSF, UP, WLE, CRIX, RLCX, and HLCX. NS 10E even supplied 10 locomotives of its own. Berea is definitly a nice place to railfan and there are a lot of friendly folks out here.
    Definitely busier than when I was there in September of 1993. I saw 43 trains in 16 hours from 03:40 am until 19:40 pm. Of course you can see more variety in railroads today as well. Back in CR days there wasn't nearly as much pool power that there is today, although I did see some, such as BN, UP, SP, SSW, CSXT, but for the most part it was all CR blue, which is really why I went there, to rack up on CR power