RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Memphis, Tennessee

1. Default Memphis, Tennessee

Site: Memphis, Tennessee

Popular Name: Kansas Avenue

Directions: Head south from downtown Memphis on Riverside Drive. At Carolina go 1 block east. Turn onto dirt road & follow this to the tracks

Description: This is a great spot to view 4 mainline tracks: 2 UP & 2 BNSF, just east of the Mississippi River bridges & about 1/2 a mile from CN/Amtrak single track crossing 4 tracks. Another good location is west of the Mississippi River at Bridge Junction in Arkansas where the BNSF Thayer Sub crosses the UP at grade with 2 tracks on UP & single track on BNSF.

Type of Operation: Mainline freight action on both lines, mostly general merchandise, some intermodal, plus coal trains on both railroads. Run through trains from CSXT going to UP. NS run through trains going to both BNSF & UP. Amtrak City of New Orleans daily on CN. Transfer runs from BNSF to CN with returning units coming to Kansas Avenue to get signal before returning east. Occasional IC power on transfer runs & switching moves. BNSF & UP switch jobs to the industrial park, President's Island, leave mainline just east of the parking area.

Typical Motive Power: Anything on both railroads rosters can be seen. CSXT & NS power run through on both railroads. Lease power can be seen as well. CN makes an occasional appearance on BNSF along with KCS, UP, MRL, etc. BNSF still has plenty of predecessors painted units left, but UP doesn't have many left at all.

Peak Operating Hours: Early morning & late afternoon

Approximate Daily Train Frequency: About 40 to 50 trains per day

Radio Frequencies: Amtrak/CN: 161.190, AAR 72; BNSF: 161.160, AAR 70; CSXT: 161.370, AAR 84, 161.520, AAR 94; NS: 160.245, AAR 09; UP: 160.410, AAR 20

Nearby Points of Interest: Memphis's refurbished Amtrak station is about 1 mile northeast. NS, along Southern Ave. east of Forest Yard, offers several urban photo opportunities. CN at Woodstock north of Memphis is a spot where the freight & passenger mains join. The BNSF & UP tracks cross at Bridge Junction about 2 miles west on I-55. There is a new UP intermodal terminal; take I-55 to Marion, Ark. about 12 miles west of Memphis & head west on US 64.

Remarks: Mornings & evenings are better for train activity than midday, when lulls can occur. Best photos are taken in the afternoons, late spring through early fall. The BNSF tracks reduce to single track at the Mississippi River bridge; to the east the 4 tracks reduce to 3 at Kentucky Street & then expand to 4 for the CN crossing & then to 6 at Tower 17. Tower 17 was for Union Station & the designation is still used to denote the west end of the 6 tracks called broadway. NS run through trains change crews & stage trains before they enter the UP westbound.

Safety Considerations: Best spot for parking is inside the old Frisco Wye on the north side of the tracks. Do not cross the tracks. The Kentucky Street crossing to the east can be used to photograph morning trains if you remain behind the crossing gates. Park on street to the south of crossing. Neighborhood to the south is very unsafe.

References: Location web page with photos can be found at:
    http://www.cbu.edu/~mcondren/ksave.htm

2. Default

Photo #1. UP Eastbound Freight Train at West Memphis, Ar. ( Bridge Jct. )

Photo #2. UP Eastbound Intermodal Train at West Memphis, Ar. ( Bridge Jct. )

Photo #3. SP Eastbound Intermodal Train at West Memphis, Ar. ( Bridge Jct. 0

Photo #4. SP Westbound Freight Train at West Memphis, Ar. ( Bridge Jct. )

9 miles from the CN Grenada Sub. Coldwater, Mississippi

I've never been to the Kansas Street Hot Spot. But I know some place you can watch a train in Memphis (Without fear of being shot, carjacked or robbed.) KC. Junction. between Bellveue Blvd. and I-240. (2. The University of Memphis Campus on NS's Memphis Sub. (3. Florida St. in Midtown Memphis (UP sometimes would park their Cheyenne, Wyo.- Pascagoula, Ms. coal trains there so that a CN crew would take it down to Moss Point, Miss. As would BNSF do with a grain train.) (4. East Jct. near Johnston Yards. Trains of other railroads would come there to drop off their goods. as would (5. NS's Forrest Yards (6. BNSF's Tennessee Yards and (7. CN's Johnston Yards
    There's more info on railfanning at Johnston Yards at: http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/...ad.php?t=81792
    Last edited by C. S. Jackson; 10-30-2006 at 10:31 PM. Reason: links to another website thread

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by C. S. Jackson View Post
    I've never been to the Kansas Street Hot Spot. But I know some place you can watch a train in Memphis (Without fear of being shot, carjacked or robbed.) KC. Junction. between Bellveue Blvd. and I-240. (2. The University of Memphis Campus on NS's Memphis Sub. (3. Florida St. in Midtown Memphis (UP sometimes would park their Cheyenne, Wyo.- Pascagoula, Ms. coal trains there so that a CN crew would take it down to Moss Point, Miss. As would BNSF do with a grain train.) (4. East Jct. near Johnston Yards. Trains of other railroads would come there to drop off their goods. as would (5. NS's Forrest Yards (6. BNSF's Tennessee Yards and (7. CN's Johnston Yards
    There's more info on railfanning at Johnston Yards at: http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/...ad.php?t=81792
    I never had any problems at Kansas Ave. The bad areas are at the rail yards, at least that's where I've heard about all the trouble. All I ever came across at Kansas Ave. were railfans & an occasional cop would check us out, but never asked us to leave. They did say to watch ourselves, but I never had any problems at all at Kansas Ave. & I went many times counting Bridge Jct. as well on the Arkansas side of the Mississippi River, which I liked better than Kansas Ave. for better train speeds for video. I was even at Kansas Ave. well after dark & still no problems.

9 miles from the CN Grenada Sub. Coldwater, Mississippi

I May Try Memphis Sometimes. They got so many railroad tracks, you may have to find which one to railfan
    The Class 1 Underdog - Kansas City Southern.

My RailroadForums Gallery

My Railimages Gallery

I visited the Kansas Ave location way back in 1996...this before the internet, I just kind of stumbled across the area. Back then though, it was the Santa Fe, Burlington Northern, Southern Pacific and Union Pacific using those rails...good times for sure. Will have to someday make another trip that way. Looking at Google Maps, it looks so much different now days...