RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Marion, Ohio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Marion, Ohio

Railroads: CSX, NS
    50-60 trains a day
    Directions: Marion is located approx 35 miles north of Columbus on US 23. Interlocking located on west side of city on SR 309 / 95.

Marion Union Station is an Excellent location to get up close to the diamonds with out trespassing. The east west CSX ex NYC/Conrail Indy line is crossed by the CSX Columbus sub and the NS Sandusky District. The Diamonds are approx 20 yds apart and the Station is located between the two North/South lines on the south side of the Indy Line. The station is a museum dedicated to preserving the station and its railroad history. Interlocking machine and old Semaphores are displayed inside. Old tower has been moved to the station from across the tracks, completely restored and lowered a story (still two stories tall). Stairs to tower give a good overhead view of NS and CSX Indy Trains.

http://www.mariononline.com/agencies/MUSA.htm

CSX Indy Sub: Runs East/West between Cleveland and Indianapolis. A small yard is just west of the diamonds is visible. Old Conrail detector at New Bloomington to the west is audible if scanning.
    160.800 Road/Dispatcher

CSX Columbus Sub: Tracks run North/South on the west side of station between Columbus and Toledo. Signals are visible to the north from the station. Also Old C&O Cantilever signal bridge and signals stands next to station grounds.
    160.230 Road, 160.320 Dispatcher.

NS Sandusky District: The Busiest line through Marion runs on the East side of the station between Columbus and Bellvue. Old Norfolk and Western Color Position Signals protect diamonds. NS also has a small yard to the north of the diamonds. Also of note is old concrete Coaling tower located to the north of Marion, Visible from SR 23, NS trains still pass underneath.
    161.190 Road/Dispatcher.

The Shovel Restaurant located in the Parking lot of Marion Union Station is excellent. Everything there is good and it helps that you do not have to leave track side to eat. Only problem is that the restaurant does not have any windows so trains can not be seen from inside unless you look at the security camera that looks at the parking lot with the NS and CSX Indy line trains visible in black and White. But the Food is worth a missed train or two.

Other railfan hotspots in the area include Fostoria (50 miles north along CSX), Attica junction (40 miles north along NS), Willard yard (10 miles east of Attica junction), Lima (50 miles west on 309)
    Siderodromophobia
    KD8CJL

Marion, the best place to be for train watching, hands down!!!

3. Default Fred's Ice Cream

While in Marion, go north of the Union Station a few blocks (you'll have to get past the east-west mainline tracks. On Silver Street between the NS and CSX tracks is Fred's Ice Cream. Their soft-serve is out of this world. For $1.60 (subject to change) I got a cone with orange/vanilla swirl that was easily 10" high. Their banana splits are great too. It's a great place to take a break from the diamond and still see two roads with plenty of mixed freight. We were there about 45 minutes and saw 4 trains (1-CSX, 3-NS) beginning at 3:00PM (when Fred's opens). Note: Fred's is closed Sundays. Enjoy.

Default freds is good

i like watching train from there too

5. Default

Visit www.marionmodelrailroadclub.org for more info on rail fanning, the station and the club!
    jt burke
    Marion, OH
    C&O and Chessie System modeler
    www.marionmodelrailroadclub.org

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information. I have a work trip to Dayton scheduled for the week of June 7th and plan on driving to Ohio and railfanning Marion on the 7th on my way out there. Not sure where I am going to railfan on the way back from Dayton yet though.
    Visit, Jeff's Train Site, your one-stop shop for locomotive and rolling stock pictures, railfan information, links, and more.

7. Default

It is a very good place and the Marion union station is situated in very good location. It is a good place to see the trains. railroads in ohio

Everett's 8th Annual Train Show . Swap Meet

This years show will be held on August 25 2012 at the Marion Union Station 532
    W. Center Street Marion, Ohio This years show will being at 10:00 am and last
    to 4:00 pm. There will be a few vendors and we will be able to go in the station
    plus the tower. the club will be open at 2:00 pm .We will be serving a light
    lunch
    at 12:00 pm to those who want it or you may choose to go to a local place. We
    will be asking for donations to defer the cost of the show. Hope lots of you
    plan to come and spend some time . I will also have a tv with train show playing
    during it to. I am looking for a few vendors to setup cost is 15.00 a table .If
    I can help you give me a call at 740-383-3311 ask for everett