RailroadData.com Railroad Links Directory and Search Engine

Thread: Cincinnati, Ohio

1. Default Cincinnati, Ohio

Site: Cincinnati, Ohio

Popular Name: Union Terminal & Tower A

Location: Ohio/Cincinnati city map SM-2 ( Rand McNally Atlas )

Directions: From southbound I-75, exit Ezzard Charles Dr. ( exit 1H ), then take the 1st right onto Ezzard Charles. This road will take you to Cincinnati Union Terminal ( Museum Center ). Once inside the terminal, head for the omnimax theater. The elevator to Tower A is located to the right of the theater. From northbound I-75, immediately after crossing the Ohio River & passing the I-71 north exit, take Dalton Ave.-Linn St. Exit 1E to U.S. 50 west. Veer right & take a left onto Ezzard Charles, & from there you will see the main entrance to Cincinnati Union Terminal ( Museum Center ).

Description: From Tower A, you will get a panoramic view of NS Gest Street Yard & piggyback yard. Also from Tower A, you can view the south end of CSXT'S Queensgate Yard. Back in the days of passenger trains, Tower A controlled all moves of passenger trains in & out of Cincinnati Union Terminal. Built in the 1930's, the terminal & Tower A are fine examples of Art Deco architecture. Before Amtrak's inception in 1971, 7 railroads came into Cincinnati Union Terminal

Type of Operation: Through mixed freights & intermodal on both railroads, plus Indiana & Ohio interchanges with CSXT & NS. Amtrak Cardinal also makes a stop at Cincinnati Union Terminal in the early morning. Lots of yard switching on both lines.

Typical Motive Power: A mix of modern & older 6 axle power is the norm on each railroad. 4 axle power can be seen hustling cars in both yards. Indiana & Ohio usually works with older EMD 4 axle power

Peak Operating Hours: Generally something is moving at all times. The peak train movement is early morning & afternoon

Approximate Daily Train Frequency: Amtrak: 2 Cardinal; CSXT: 30 freights; NS: 25 freights; Indiana & Ohio: 2 freights

Radio Frequencies: CSXT: 161.100 AAR 66; Indiana & Ohio: 161.385 AAR 85; NS: 160.440 AAR 22; 161.490 AAR 92

Nearby Points of Interest: Hot Spots include Winton Place, a northern neighborhood of Cincinnati. Also, several good scenic photo locations are found south of Cincinnati in Covington, Ky. & environs. Inside Cincinnati Union Terminal there is an IMAX theater along with fine museums in the terminal rotunda.

Remarks: Tower A is a wonderful location to photograph & watch trains all day. Tower A is the meeting room for Cincinnati Railroad Club. Their meeting is every 1st Thursday of the month, & Tower A is open on Saturday to the public from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Food can be purchased in the terminal rotunda. Motels can be found along I-71 & I-75

Thank you very much! I wish I had this before I was up there in JULY...I am heading up there in Feb 08....thx again!
    Union Pacific HO Modeler
    In it for the long haul!:)
    Sustaining Member of UPHS
    http://uphs.org/

The following are Yahoo Groups that I belong to (as Alcomotive):

Member of UP_Modelers
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/up_modelers/

Member of Union_Pacific : Union Pacific Railroad e-mail list
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Union_Pacific/?yguid=312755809

Member of UPRRSYS_EASTEND : Union_Pacific_RR_System_eastend
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/uprrsys_eastend/

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomotive View Post
    Thank you very much! I wish I had this before I was up there in JULY...I am heading up there in Feb 08....thx again!
    You're welcome, enjoy your trip.

4. Default

To add to William's post another good spot is in Glendale, just north of Union Terminal. It is not as busy as Winton Place, but it's in a safer part of town.

Directions, The easiest way to get there is off of 1-75 exit 15 on E Sharon Rd. Then travel west on E Sharon Rd, it is around a mile from the interstate exit. There is parking on the west side of tracks in Historic Village Square, or for clear angles for taking pictures the parking lot on the east side of the tracks, Municipal Parking lot, which is on the side with the Glendale police station.

Type of Operation: Mixed fright's are pulled by CSX along with auto racks. Norfolk Southern pull's intermodal's, double stacks and auto racks. From time to time you'll see BNSF and Union Pacific motive power.

Description: This is a double track, so you will see both north and south bounds, there are the old B&O signal towers at the crossing intersection. It is easy to see and hear north bounds from the track is straight for a mile going south. South bounds are not as easy to pick up, the only warning you will get is the crossing gates coming on(from the track curving left north of Glendale). Some move slow, while others haul though there. Also there is a depot that has been turned into a museum, hours are Thursdays & Saturdays 11am till 3pm.

Operating Hours: Only been there from 1pm till 6:30pm, traffic does pick up from 4pm till 6pm.

And any were from 30 to 50 trains a day.

Photography: For pictures on the east side, morning hours up till 2pm or 3pm after that the west side is better.

[IMG][/IMG]