Thread: KCS yard near dallas or fort worth.

1. Default KCS yard near dallas or fort worth.

Hello. Was just wondering if there was a KCS yard near ft.worth or dallas and if there is where is it? We were going to go to Saganaw Texas tomarrow and i wanted to see if i could see anything moveing on the KCS side. Thank you.
    Matt Linda
    *Student Brakeman for the Austin & Texas Central Railroad*

There are two yards. The KCS Dalls Yard is off of Garland Rd.(hwy78) and 635(LBJ). Its not a big yard, but its easy to view.

The other yard is due north about 15 miles on the previously mention Hwy 78, in Wylie, Texas. It is appropriately named KCS Wylie Yard. This yard is not very accessable, unless you feel like breaking the law. You can however go to the south end of the yard, and look into it, and catch any trains (KCS, NS, BNSF even DGNO) coming an going. On the north end of the yard, there's a bridge going across the dammed portion of Lake Lavon. Its best to shoot west bounders, but you can shoot east bounders too.

If you are on the FTW side of things, and dont feel like driving out that way, you can go north on FM 156 and take it past Krum, Texas. There's an area called Metro Junction. Its where the KCS Alliance Sub(their furtherst west owned trackage) meets the BNSF FTW Sub. Lotsa stuff out there.

Ifin you can find it, I highly suggest Joshua Chlapek's recent article in the Nov. 2005 issue of Railfan and Railroad magazine on the area.

3. Default

Thank you very much for finding that stuff for me.
    Matt Linda
    *Student Brakeman for the Austin & Texas Central Railroad*

Wasn't the KCS line in Dallas formerly owned by ATSF?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe6165
    Yes, many years ago, Dallas-Paris.
    Mark St. Aubin
    My railroad photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47162644@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe6165
    Two lines, actually.

The portion of the Santa Fe's Dallas-Paris line south of Farmersville, where the L&A tied in, is one of them. (A portion near downtown Dallas was abandoned in favor of using the old ex-SP, nee-H&TC to get downtown.)

Then, the line from Dallas through west Plano, Lewisville, and Denton to Metro Junction is ex-ATSF, built in 1954-1955 to give the ATSF a route into Dallas from the north. KCS uses trackage rights over a DART-owned ex-SSW line from Wylie to White Rock Jct. in west Plano so that they can use this line for Alliance-bound traffic without going down into Dallas.

Isn't there another line that goes through Paris on the ex-ATSF besides KCS?

Quote Originally Posted by setxrailfan
    Yes, many years ago, Dallas-Paris.

KCS doesn't serve Paris. The segment from Farmersville to Paris was sold to the Chaparral Railroad (an affiliate of the Kiamichi Railroad) which folded a few years thereafter. The portion from Farmersville to the outskirts of Paris was then pulled up, with a small remnant remaining in Paris for the Kiamichi to serve some industries.

The portion that KCS does have, from Farmersville through Wylie (using part of the parallel ex-SSW through there, since a portion of the ATSF R-O-W in Wylie was abandoned to allow for the state to widen TX 78 over it) to Dallas, sees some traffic from shortline Dallas, Garland & NorthEastern (DGNO or "Dingo"), particularly south of Dallas Yard (formerly Zacha Junction in ATSF days).