Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most powerful locomotive in the world

1. Default

According to Wikipedia (on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_largest_locomotive), the most powerful undividable locomotive in series production is China Railways' HXD1B, 2B and 3B with 12.874 hp (9.600 kW) apiece. The three series are respectively made by CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive and Siemens; Datong Electric Locomotive and Alstom; and Dalian and Bombardier.

The IORE on Malmbanan in Sweden has the highest power for a pair: 14.483 hp or 10.800 kW for a Co'Co'+Co'Co' arrangement.

2. Default

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dosen't tractive effort have a lot to do with power? It was my understanding however, that the EMD DDA40X was the most powerful U.S. locomotive, boasting 6,600 hp. But I don't know how many DDA40X's were hooked up in one consist. But I assume we're talking about only one locomotive.

3. Default

I thought the Big Blows only made 4000 hp. I've heard the 8000 hp numbers, but I mostly hear that they make 4000 hp. But I could be reading about 2 different locomotive.

4. Default

http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/history/loco/locohs05.shtml

The first ten UP turbines, Nos. 51-60, packing 4,500 horsepower each, were delivered to UP by General Electric in 1952. Fifteen more of these units were ordered in 1954 and numbered 61-75. Thirty units of a larger model, numbered 1-30, were delivered between 1958 and 1961. With a hefty 8,500 horsepower apiece, the last 30 units were the largest locomotives ever built.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_GTELs

Rumors persist that the Big Blow turbines were upgraded to 10,000 hp (7.5 MW). This may stem from the fact at 1,500 ft (460 m) elevation, that the turbine was capable of producing 10,700 hp (8.0 MW), however the electrical equipment was not rated to handle it. Also, the turbines in revenue service always operated above this altitude. Even so, the turbine design used in these units is still the most powerful prime mover ever installed in a North American locomotive.

------------------------------------

Bruce

Does anybody know what has the most in terms of pulling power? While some of those electrics may have 15000HP, I'd bet they can't really pull a whole lot, at least not compared to North American units.
    Canadian National Railway - Moving yesterday's freight, tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainMan12
    Does anybody know what has the most in terms of pulling power? While some of those electrics may have 15000HP, I'd bet they can't really pull a whole lot, at least not compared to North American units.
    A CSX "heavy" Gevo or AC44 makes right around 200,000 lbs of tractive effort (starting, I believe), so those could be thought of as most pulling power.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SBB CFF FFS View Post
    The most powerful that I know of is the 10,600 hp (7,850 kw) six-axle Swiss-built Re 620 (old designation Re 6/6) electric locomotive, used by the Swiss Federal Railways, SBB CFF FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainMan12
    Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBB-CFF-FFS_Re_620

Wheel arrangement Bo'Bo'Bo'
    Top speed 140 km/h
    Power 7850 kW
    Continuous traction 270 kN
    Maximum traction 398 kN
    ------------------------------------------------
    kN * 224.8 = lbs
    398 x 224.8 = 89,470.4 pounds

------------------------------------
    Bruce

8. Default

Absolute horsepower isn't the sole determining factor when it comes to the title of 'World's Most Powerful Locomotive'. Tractive effort must also be figured in as well, in this way I would award the title to UP 1-30 (twelve traction motors, and some had additional traction motors on their tender)
    LESLIEģ SUPERTYFON

"Just when you thought it was safe to go trackside..."

Quote Originally Posted by SBB CFF FFS View Post
    I was wondering, what is the most powerful locomotive in the world in terms of kilowatts or horsepower?

The most powerful that I know of is the 10,600 hp (7,850 kw) six-axle Swiss-built Re 620 (old designation Re 6/6) electric locomotive, used by the Swiss Federal Railways, SBB CFF FFS. ...
    This locomotive doesn't look very heavy. Is it heavy enough to make use of all that horsepower?
    Or will a lot of wheel slip occur?
    Do they add weight to engines?

At full power, do they use BOTH pantographs?
    Ostentatiously humble.
    My patients' arrhythmias straighten themselves out!!
    Innocent by reason of sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by HSL View Post
    ...The IORE on Malmbanan in Sweden has the highest power for a pair: 14.483 hp or 10.800 kW for a Co'Co'+Co'Co' arrangement.
    What does " Co'Co'+Co'Co' " mean?
    Ostentatiously humble.
    My patients' arrhythmias straighten themselves out!!
    Innocent by reason of sanity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast